Why Would a Chest Xray and an EKG Be Needed Before Doing Cellulaze?

If there are no other health concerns, this seems like a lot for a minimally invasive procedure.

Preoperative testing for Cellulaze

+3

Cellulaze is minimally invasive procedure to treat cellulites.  The procedure can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia (sedation) depending on the area that needs to be treated.  If you are healthy with no other medical co-morbidities, you should not need CXR or EKG.  However, since I am not your surgeon and have not reviewed your history or physical, it is hard to give you the proper recommendation.  Good luck with the treatment.

CXR and EKG are not part of standard pre-op for Cellulaze and Smartlipo

+3

CXR and EKG are not part of standard pre-op for Cellulaze or Smartlipo unless you work with someone who insists performing procedure under general anesthesia, which would be an overkill for something that should be performed with mild sedation with local anesthesia using tumescent lidocaine technique.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

EKG and Chest XRay prior to Cellulaze

+2

If your surgeon is considering doing your procedure under general anesthesia, they would generally want medical clearance to make sure you are able to undergo such a procedure.  Most cases are done under local anesthesia and very light sedation and do not require such an extensive workup, unless you have a significant cardiac history that may be effected by the lidocaine used in the local anesthetic/tumescent solution or anything else that may effect blood pressure, etc. Elective procedures, no matter how minor, should be done when patients are healthy...No one wants to risk a patient's life or have a poor outcome because a procedure was performed on someone that wasn't healthy to begin with.  It always okay to ask your surgeon why he/she is suggesting certain tests prior to the procedure.  Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Preoperative studies for Cellulaze

+2

Cellulaze is a minimally-invasive procedure performed under light sedation, and unless you have a medical reason for needing a more in-depth work-up (or are having general anesthesia), an EKG and CXR are not usually necessary. 

Michelle Spring, MD

+2

EKG I can accept if you over 40 years of age. But very hard to understand a CXR. Please expound on this more. 

More testing for Cellulaze

+1

Certain doctors would like for their patients to have extensive testing before a surgery; this could be for a number of reasons. If the patient is older or has any health concerns it is best for the doctor to get more testing done.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Preop workup

+1

I'll have to defer the preop workout to your PS who has evaluated your history.   Please ask your PS why these tests are needed.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Preparing for Cellulaze

+1

If you are going under local anesthesia, which is typical for Cellulaze, a chest x-ray and an EKG would not be necessary. These are normally required when going under general anesthesia. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Is a chest xray and EKG necessary before Cellulaze?

+1

Typically an EKG and chest xray are not required before Cellulaze, for healthy patient's without any underlying medical conditions. Since I don't know your age or medical history I cannot say what your physician's reasons are for those tests. If it is concerning to you, you should call your physician and ask him/her directly.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon