Chest Exercises and Implants?

Hi. I had implants put in in December so about 7 months ago. I am going to begin training for the police department. Before surgery I had awesome upper body strength but now not so much. Is it ok to build a lot of muscle? I've read that they can bottom out. If I do get into the department the training for it is one of the toughest in the country and I'm concerned about hurting myself or having them move a lot. Obviously my job is more important but I just want to make sure.

Chest Exercises and Implants?

+2

Dear Kassi,

Thank you for your post.  This depends on what type of augmentation and with what type of implant in my opinion.  If you had an augmentation with a smooth implant under the muscle, then a lot of chest workout may cause displacement of the implant over time.  This does not happen in all women, but I have personally fixed many women who had 'perfect breasts' a year after augmentation, but over 5-10 years, the implants ended in their armpits.  If the implants were textured, then this may be less likely to happen as the body grows into all the pores of the implant and helps to hold it in place.  Also, if the implant was placed above the muscle, then the muscle has no effect on the implant.  The following link is of a textured implant placed above the muscle (subfascial in this case) with no animation (distortion of the breast on muscle flexion) because the muscle has no effect on the implant. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Chest exercise

+2

You are 7 months after your surgery.   You are OK to proceed with activity as tolerated.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Activities after a breast augmentation

+2

After 7 months you should be able to get back to full and vigorous activities. I would start gradually and advance as able.  

Exercise after Augmentation

+2

My experience is that for the typical patient who works out often but is not a competitive body builder there does not appear to be a problem with chest exercises.  As mentioned by others,  we assume a supportive bra will be helpful.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants do not prohibit any athletic activity.

+2

Seven months after your operation you can resume whatever activity you wish. Obviously if you build muscle in the pectoral region it will change the appearance of the chest as it would even if you didn't have implants.

Chest Exercises and Breast Implants

+2

Implants placed above the muscle are not affected by muscle movements. Implants under the muscle may be moved to the side with heavy muscle use. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Body building and implants

+2

To my knowledge, no one knows exactly how much pectoral muscle exercising you can do without displacing the implants down and out. I agree with your priority of putting your profession first. If you are training to get in shape, and not primarily lifting weights like a body builder would, the risk of displacement is probably not as much. I agree with the other doctors in wearing a supportive bra during training and work.

Brian D. Kent, MD
Tulsa Plastic Surgeon

Chest Exercises and Implants

+2

Great question....I typically tell pt's to avoid any exercise which focus on the pec major...the muscle above the implant....you can work on isolated muscles which contribute to shoulder strength and endurance...good luck in your career!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Chest exercises after breast augmentation

+2

Doing frequent and strenuous upper body exercises can potentially lead to displacement of your implants down and out.  That is why professional bodybuilders often have their implants placed above the muscle.  You can try wearing a supportive bra when doing exercises as a preventative measure.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Chest Exercises and Implants?

+2

Wearing a supportive underwire bra will be most effective in minimizing the forces of the pectoral muscles pushing the implants downward and outward. 

All the best with your training.