Treatment Options for Stubborn Chest Acne?

I have had chest acne for about 2 years now and I've been on minocycline for the past 9 months and it hasn't gotten better. It seems to come and go but when I have it it's painful and makes me very self-conscious.

If you could tell me a good treatment that I could ask my dermatologist about, that would be great. Thank you!

Treatment options for chest acne

+1

The chest is a common location for acne and this area can be more challenging to treat than the face.  Just like on other areas, a combination of medications may be needed.  Topicals may work but some products, such as those that contain benzoyl peroxide, can bleach clothing.  As for oral medications, if you are female, consider the oral contraceptive pill, doxycyline, nicomide, or isotretinoin (Accutane).  Chemical peels may also help

Depends on your sex

+1

If you are a female, you certainly could ask your dermatologist to add an oral contraceptive such as Yaz, or a male hormond blocker such as Aldactone.

Either sex would benefit from Accutane.

A new topical drug, Aczone, has been released. This is a Dapsone gel. Dapsone chases away white cells and this drug seems to be very effective in some patients.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist