Thermage Vs Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy With C-Section?

I had a baby via c-section 5 months ago which has left left me with a body I hate! I know realistically a tummy tuck would be my best option but I am getting VASER lipo (possibly HD depending on how tight money is!) on my flanks and thighs and if it would help my stomach, i know this procedure has a tightening effect do this is why I'm asking if thermage would be good enough for me?

TT vs. thermage

+1

If you already have stretch marks and hanging skin there is very little these non invasive modalities can do to reduce the excess skin

Liposuction with vaser/ abdominoplasty or thermage?

+1

The best time to consider body countouring is to wait at least nine months after giving birth to a child or wait until returning to the pre-pregnancy weight. Liposuction, preferably liposelection with vaser technology, is a very good option which helps skin shrinkage. Excess skin needs to be surgically removed , especially if it would not respond to liposuction. Thermage would not work at least would not produce long lasting results. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

More Predictable Results with Tummy Tuck Rather Than Thermage

+1

Ultrasonic assisted liposuction (VASER and Lysonix are brand names) can tighten the skin to a certain extent, but it can only do it to a certain extent. So, if the amount of loose skin you have is minimal, then you may not need a tummy tuck. However, if you have very noticeable loose skin, then you'll most likely be disappointed with the results of just liposuction. In general, most female patients who have had a child and are dealing with their post-pregnancy body require more than liposuction on their stomach because it's not just a bit of loose skin and excess fat they're dealing with. It's generally a lot of loose skin, excess fat, and possibly weakened abdominal muscles that need to be repaired (diastasis recti). Liposuction alone simply can't do that, and Thermage, being a nonsurgical treatment, may take a while to yield results you like (it may also be difficult to predict your results well. Results are better predicted with surgical procedures).

Maybe you should ask yourself this: will you be able to wait to see if Thermage will work for you?

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck vs. Thermage

+1

If you are even considering a tummy tuck for loose skin, then Thermage is probably out of the question for significant long term results. Non invasive modalities tend to smooth the skin and not lift or significantly tighten it. Photos would be quite helpful if you would like more information, otherwise consult with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon in your area for personal recommendations.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Its a matter of extent

+1

It is accepted that Thermage or the VASER (ultrasound) version of liposuction can 

produce some skin tightening, but the amount of tightening, when 

compared to that from a tummy tuck, is minimal, at best.  Thermage or Vaser

might smoothen some loose skin, but neither would reverse hanging skin.  

In addition, most of my patients who desire tightening of their abdominal skin

also want tightening of their muscle layer, which flattens the belly.  Neither 

Thermage or Vaser have the ability to alter the muscle layer to any extent.  

Vincent J. Perrotta, MD
Salisbury Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

I believe anything other than a tummy tuck is just wasting money. I do not think any of the non-surgical skin tighteners get consistently good, permanent results.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

No alternatives to tummy tuck for significantly loose skin

+1

It is very tempting to buy into the idea that less invasive options can be an alternative to a tummy tuck but that just isn't the case. For minimal skin laxity, treatments like Thermage can be helpful, and both laser lipo and VASER have shown evidence that they can tighten skin more than traditional lipo. However, these are not the cases that would need an abdominoplasty, and the extra tightening is not always noticeable. If plastic surgeons who have examined you are recommending tummy tuck, then other procedures can actually make things worse.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thermage Vs Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

Hard to answer this well without photos.  If you have noticeably loose skin, anything short of a tummy tuck will be fruitless. Save your money for something that works. All the best.