I had a gastric bypass in 2007. Do I Need a Vertical Incision for my Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had a gastric bypass in 2007, 2 bowel obstructions in 2008, and a g tube place for a year after the obstructions that why you see a dent on the upper left side of my abdomen. Also I was cut vertically when I had the obstructions. My highest weight was 233lbs at 5'4 and at this time I am 146 Ibs. When I went for my initial consultation my surgeon stated that I will have the best results with a vertical incision! What do you docs think?

Will you need a vertical incision?

+3

With your photos provided and the scarring that you already have, the answer is YES and I would be very critical of anyone trying to do a tummy tuck on you without one.  This would be the safest way to manage your tummy and give you the best chance at a good result.

Previous abdominal surgeries and scars complicate abdominoplasty

+2

You have had multiple abdominal surgeries.  You have impressive amount of redundant skin on your abdomen.  Abdominal surface is uneven.

You will need vertical as well as low abdominal crease operation to address all above issues.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Do I Need a Vertical Incision with My Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Agape81,

Your photo suggests that a vertical incision would be highly advisable as part of your tummy tuck.

Massive weight loss patients such as yourself may also wish to consider the lower bodylift (ie. belt lipectomy) as an even more powerful alternative for contouring the circumferential lower torso.

Please see an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in body contouring after massive weight loss for an evaluation and discussion of your concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Yes, Without a Doubt you need a vertical incision

+2

Due to your previous abdominal surgery and your depressed scar tissue, it appears that a vertical incision as well as the lower abdominal incision will be indicated in your case. I recommend that you discuss this in great detail with your plastic surgeon as to have realistic goals and expectations.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Patients with heroic amounts of excess skin of the abdomen might do best with both the horizontal and vertical incision.

+1

Photograph demonstrates the patient with a sizable amount of surplus skin including the vertical scar in the midline. The best overall contour would probably be obtained within extended abdominoplasty that includes a vertical incision and horizontal incision.