Chemosis on Right Eye Causing Asymmetrical Eyes Will Get Better? (photo)

I had lower eyelid transconjuctival blepharoplasty only 11 days ago & got chemosis on my right eye. Its coming along well (esp, considering how gnarly it was) but I'm worrying because it looks small, "pushed up" & I get cock-eyed when I turn my eye harshly. I pull down on my face and make the right eye the same size as my other eye & can see that the flesh underneath is still not quite where it should be. Will this go down eventually? I'm worried that it is "scarring into place" as it were...

Chemosis after blepharoplasty.

+2

Chemosis after blepharoplasty, especially after transconjunctival approach is not uncommon. You should get steroid eyedrops from your surgeon. It will go away but can be stubborn.

Chemosis is bothersome but temporary after a blepharoplasty

+2

Chemosis or swelling of the conjunctiva of the eye is a bothersome but not dangerous complication of a blepharoplasty.  It is temporary although it may last up to 6 weeks.  It should not have any effect on your ultimate outcome from the surgery.  Steroid drops, Blephamide ophthalmic drops is one type, or warm compress can be used to speed the recovery.  Very rarely, a minor procedure can be done in stubborn cases.

I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemosis after blepharoplasty

+2

Chemosis is not uncommon. It will go away though sometimes it can be stubborn and last for a few weeks. Steroid eye drops and moist warm light compression usually helps.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Be patient

+2

Dear Maran

It is way to early after surgery for you to worry about asymmetry. There is significant swelling in the first two weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that. Chemosis, or conjunctival swelling, is not terribly uncommon after transconj.blepharoplasty.

Your surgeon, however should be aware of this. Sometimes lubricating steroid ointment or drops can be used to decrease the inflammation, if it is not going down fast enough. Eye patching can be helpful as well. Don't worry:  its not going to scar into place.

If your surgeon is uncomfortable with treating the chemosis,  I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. If your surgeon doesn't know one, you can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chemosis after blepharoplasty

+1

Chemosis is troublesome and can be disturbing to some patients. It is not uncommon.   It will usually resolve, but it can take some time.  You are still very early in your post operative course.  Please do keep your surgeon informed as to what is going on.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Recovery after blepharoplasty

+1

In the first month after blepharoplasty surgery, I wouldn’t be concerned about how it looks. There is a lot of chemosis or swelling that can be treated by sleeping with your head elevated, topical drops, massage, or patching of the eye. With these conservative treatments, it should get better slowly over time. After 3 months, you will be able to tell if there is any asymmetry with your results that might need to be corrected. Vitamin K cream and IPL treatments can also be helpful for the bruising.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chemosis is common

+1

Chemosis or conjunctival swelling after lower eyelid surgery is common. it will of course cause your lids to look asymmetric. This will resolve once the chemosis settles. A topical anti inflammatory drop will help to speed the recovery

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemosis after blepharoplasty

+1

Chemosis is not uncommon after any type of eyelid procedure especially transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty.  I have found that steroid eye drops work well...sometimes even taping the lower eyelid upwards can be helpful too.  Resting the eyes as much as possible is helpful too, as the eye heals best in the "closed" position.  Use plenty of natural tears as well.  You have to be patients.  Your chemosis is mild from some that I have seen and I have seen it take as much as 4-6 weeks to resolve completely. 

James F. Boynton, MD

One weird looking eye

+1

all the comments are spot on. in addition your gaze is slightly off, not uncommon and should be fine. i have to say that is the whitest chemosis i have ever seen. is it just reflected light? normally it looks like clear jelly. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chemosis on Right Eye Causing Asymmetrical Eyes Will Get Better?

+1

Thanks for the posted photo very detailed. By definition the Chemosis cause swelling and distortion due to swelling. This will reduce over a few weeks.