What Do I Do Now? Chemosis in my Left Eye for 8 Months Now After Blearoplasty

I had blephoplasty 8 mos. ago and still have chemosis in my left eye. My surgeon seems to be oblivious to this and says he would only make it worse by trying to fix it. He obviously took out too much tissue in the lower lid. The bottom of the iris does not touch the lower lid. Will there be negative effects on my vision? What should I do?

Needs to be Addressed.

+1

Sounds like are suffering from lower lid retraction and the chemosis is reactive due to constant exposure.  The long term effects can include drying of the sclera (white portion of the eye) which could damage that portion of the eye.  The eye needs to be protected and moist. The eyelids aid in this.  Depending on the cause of the lower eyelid retraction corrective procedures may include repositioning of the eyelid, reconstructing and tightening the outer corner of the eye (canthoplasty or canthopexy), skin grafts/flaps, cartilage grafts or mucosal grafts (pink tissue).  See someone experienced with secondary blepharoplasty or eyelid reconstruction.

Good Luck]

Dr. ES

Chemosis after surgery

+1

Chemosis 8 months after eyelid surgery is unusual and an evaluation by a plastic surgeon specializing in facial rejuvenation and eyelid surgery is warranted.  Your original surgeon should be addressing this problem. 

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Chemosis after blepharoplasty

+1

There are various nonsurgical and surgical options available to help with chemosis after blepharoplasty. We usually start with nonsurgical options.  A proper evaluation will determine the cause and best treatment plan.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ectropian after lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

It sounds like you have developed scleral show and ectropian after your blepharoplasty.  Massage and taping the lid sometimes helps.

I would recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon that specializes in periorbital rejuvenation and lower eyelid reconstruction.  Until then I would say massage and taping for now.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD