Can Chemical Peels Be Performed on Backs and Arms of African Americans?

I am an african american femail who has hyperpigmentation for more than 10 years. No medication has worked and I would like to know if chemical peels can be used on back and arms to get rid of this condition?

Chemical peels on backs and arms of dark skin

+1

For darker skin tones, glycolic peels can be a safe and effective option to treat hyperpigmentation. Often I would advise combining a series of these peels with a home regimen, and certainly minimizing sun exposure/using sun protection and avoiding any triggers for hyperpigmentation such as eczema - best to speak with your dermatologist about the best course of action for you. For darker skin with long term hyperpigmentation, my goal is improvement, but perfection unfortunately is seldom possible and I'd avoid anyone promising you that ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple chemical peels help even out discolorations in black patients.

+1

Multiple chemical peels such as 4-5 given at every 3-4 weeks can help even out discoloration of the back and arms for roughly $500-750 per peel.  Additionally, you will need prescription bleaching creams and sunblock and steroid cream.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peels on the body

+1

It depends on the cause of the hyperpigmentation would determine if superficial chemical peeling will be of benefit. Superficial chemical peeling can be safe for skin of color.  The caveat is that the person who is performing the peel is experienced in administrating the chemical peel in skin of color. Generally, a number of treatment modalities and combinations such as chemical peeling, microdermabrasion and lightening agents are used for hyperpigmentation.

Cheryl M. Burgess, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon