What Type and Strength of Chemical Peel for African American with Hyperpigmentation?

I have severe hyperpigmentation spots under my chin & preauricular area, what type & strength chemical peels from plucking facial hair what would you recommend for African American skin.

Multiple light chemical peels are usually needed for dark spots in blacks.

+2

A series of 3-6 light chem peels at 2 week intervals do great for hyperpigmentation in patients with dark spots.  Jessner's solution or 10-15% TCA is great for these light peels.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Glycolic and kojic acid peels

+2

For African American skin, I recommend lighter, more frequent peels to gently remove hyperpigmentation.  Glycolic and Kojic acid peels can be very helpful.  I also stress strict photoprotection including UVA coverage as well as UVB sunblock in conjunction with a hydroquinone containing home skin regimen to help improve dark spots on the skin.  Retin-a type medications called retinoids can also by a useful adjunct.  However, be sure to tell your provider of the chemical peel if you have recently used a retinoid on the skin prior to your peel treatment.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Re: Chemical Peel for African American with Hyperpigmentation

+1

Hyperpigmentation is caused by the production of melanin which can result as a protective mechanism from trauma to the skin.

Chemical peels, as the name implies, removes the outer layers of the skin. And this may or may not effectively get rid of the discoloration you are seeing. Chemical peels are generally very unpredictable in terms of overall results.

Because of this, they are not as safe as lasers. Lasers can target the concentrated areas of melanin beneath the skin surface without the need to remove outer layers. Fraxel Dual (which is safe for darker skin) breaks up the structures within the skin that contain the melanin so that it can be eliminated by the body’s natural system.

I highly recommend that you work with a board certified dermatologist to help get rid of your hyperpigmentationThis will greatly reduce the risks of unwanted consequences

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon