Going on a Vacation After Peeling from Chemical Peel?

Do you think it's okay for me to go on my vacation to Miami? I had a Chemical peel and you were right; the spots peeled off and they were pink under, but the color came back in days, my face is clearer but I still have blemishes, but now am wondering about my trip because it wil be hot in Miami and I will be under the sun for most of the time. I read about the hyperpigmentation, and I dont want that. Or am I safely away from that stage by now?

No, this is not a good idea as the sun can affect healing with darkening and hyperpigmentation. Protect your face as much as possible from the sun and use a fading cream while healing.

Topical maintenance after chemical peel with Melarase cream

Sun exposure, with or without a chemical peel, especially in humid tropical climates can exacerbate hyperpigmentation.  I would recommend a daily maintenance with Melarase AM cream.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chemical peel and sun avoidance

Even if your skin appears to have returned to normal, you must protect your skin from the sun, especially between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm.  You will develop brown pigmentation after sun exposure on fresh skin, so be very careful.  If you do develop brown spots, visit your dermatologist who can recommend a fading cream.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Post-peel skincare

If your skin has fully healed from the peel, you are less prone to sun-related post-peeling problems. I would still advise you to bring plenty of sun block with you for sun protection. If you are going to be in the water, re-apply the sunscreen/block every 90 minutes. Neutrogena incidentally recently came out with a "Sport" sunscreen that is touted to stay on longer with sweating and exposure to water. A wide-brimmed hat would also be helpful.

Have a wonderful trip.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist