I'm 17 and have problems with Acne coming back, should I get a Chemical Peel?

I am 17 and I have had problems with acne since I was 14. I have had treatment but it alwayd came back :(....I was thinking of a chemical peel as my next option, should I do it?

A Series Of Superficial Peels Can Work Well To Treat Acne in People Of Color

+1
The genetic predisposition to forming plugged-up, inflamed pores is the underlying cause of acne vulgaris, or so-called  typical "teenage" acne. Unfortunately, acne is a chronic condition, which means it will have its ups and downs over time until the genes (the family trait predisposition) say it is time to stop--and this may mean it can continue to be a problem into a person's twenties, thirties and forties, and even beyond. While, unfortunately, at present, we do not have any cure for acne, we do have a whole range of very effective prescription topical and oral treatments and effective in-office techniques to help people during those disturbing times when acne flares up.

Although there has been much hype and media attention to the use of lasers and light therapies for treating acne, overall, I have found the results of these to be disappointing. Tried and true, proven, at-home therapies include the use of prescription-strrength retinoids, alone, or in combination with benzoyl peroxide, topical antibiotics, and salicylic acid. For more severe or difficult-to-control cases, there may be the need for the addition of a short course of an oral antibiotic, such as doxicycline or azithromycin, among others.

Time-tested, in office treatments include a thorough professional cleaning of whiteheads and blackheads and the injection of anti-inflammatory agents to shrink large pimples, nodules, and potentially scarring cysts. In addition, the physician may recommend treatment with a series of glycolic or salicylic acid peels, both of which have been shown in studies (and born out during my over thirty years of experience using them) to be extremely helpful in speeding acne clearing and which can be safely used in people of color without concern for causing permanent or long-lasting pigmentary irregularities.

Consultation with a board certified dermatologist with extensive expertise and experience in treating "teenage" acne in people of color is strongly recommended.

The Laser Equivalent of a Chemical Peel

+1

Yes, it is true that at your age, the acne has a lot to do with hormonal changes which affect the size and activity level of sebaceous glands which secrete oil. A safer alternative to chemical peels and oral medications is the Spectra laser, which gives results that are comparable to a chemical peel if not better. Your skin will be covered in a photo sensitive lotion which interacts with the laser to give fairly quick results. Blockages in your pores will be cleared out. Bacteria which later causes inflammation and subsequent acne scars will be killed. And also the laser decreases the activity of the sebaceous glands, which secrete oil that contributes to the acne condition. Results are a lot more predictable than a chemical peel too. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peels

+1

Due to your dark skin type, I would not use an invasive chemical peel as is done by  a plastic surgeon but you may benefit from one done by an aesthetician as well as treatment with the Hydrafacial machine or Oxygen Infusion Facial. Use these in conjunction with a light peel . Deep peels and lasers with your dark skin will lead to hypopigmentation.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel or Other

+1

Any exfoliating type of skin care procedure will help with acne. At your age, it is still very common for young adults to experience hormonal acne. I would schedule an appointment with a local Dermatologist or Aesthetician to discuss options.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels help clear acne when all else fails.

+1

Chemical peels do help acne at any stage of the game and are easy to undergo for modest cost.  They exfoliate the acne prone skin and even out skin color.  Usually a series of peels are needed to make a significant difference.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon