Should I Get a Chemical Peel?

I am 17 and I have had problems with acne since I was 14. I have had treatment but it alwayd came back :(....I was thinking of a chemical peel as my next option, should I do it?

The Laser Equivalent of a Chemical Peel

+1

Yes, it is true that at your age, the acne has a lot to do with hormonal changes which affect the size and activity level of sebaceous glands which secrete oil. A safer alternative to chemical peels and oral medications is the Spectra laser, which gives results that are comparable to a chemical peel if not better. Your skin will be covered in a photo sensitive lotion which interacts with the laser to give fairly quick results. Blockages in your pores will be cleared out. Bacteria which later causes inflammation and subsequent acne scars will be killed. And also the laser decreases the activity of the sebaceous glands, which secrete oil that contributes to the acne condition. Results are a lot more predictable than a chemical peel too. 

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-acne/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peels

+1

Due to your dark skin type, I would not use an invasive chemical peel as is done by  a plastic surgeon but you may benefit from one done by an aesthetician as well as treatment with the Hydrafacial machine or Oxygen Infusion Facial. Use these in conjunction with a light peel . Deep peels and lasers with your dark skin will lead to hypopigmentation.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel or Other

+1

Any exfoliating type of skin care procedure will help with acne. At your age, it is still very common for young adults to experience hormonal acne. I would schedule an appointment with a local Dermatologist or Aesthetician to discuss options.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels help clear acne when all else fails.

+1

Chemical peels do help acne at any stage of the game and are easy to undergo for modest cost.  They exfoliate the acne prone skin and even out skin color.  Usually a series of peels are needed to make a significant difference.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com/chem-peel/landing

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.