Are Chemical Peels Worth It?

I want to know if getting a chemical peel would be a good idea for me. I'm 22 years old and have adult acne. I have tried everything it just makes me break out more. I don't really have bad acne but really bad scars from breaking out. I also have sensitive and oily skin. I heard chemical peels are affordable and an easy way to fix the problem. How do they work? Will it break me out more.

Scarring acne? You need to see a dermatologist

+1

If you indeed get scarring acne, it would be best if you were to be evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist.  Although chemical peels make a great addtion to acne and acne scar treatment, they will unlikely not be enough to get your acne under control.  It sounds like you may need prescription strength medicine.

Control versus scar reduction.

+1

Acne control can be aided by light chemical peels. Just be sure you have not had Accutane recently.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels for Acne Scars

+1

Chemical peels fall into the general category of FACIAL RESURFACING which include all modalities which remove certain partial thicknesses of the skin in the hope that pigmentation, fine wrinkles and superficially damaged skin will be thereby removed and the uncovered skin below would be smoother and more attractive.

Very few things in life are both cheap (or in PC terms affordable) and good and this is NO exception. Since acne scars extend deeper into the skin you would require DEEPER treatments which would need to be repeated several times - EFFECTIVE treatments will not be cheap.

Since chemical peels depend on how the skin was prepared, on the acid used, its concentration and the time it is allowed to burn the skin before it is neutralized (or with TCA before in neutralizes itself), the results are VERY operator dependent. For this reason, resurfacing lasers have increasingly taken over larger portions of cases such as yours.

I would advise you to seek out several Board certified Plastic surgeons or Dermatologists and see what each says before you do anything. Listen to what is not being said as much as to what is said. Then, make up your mind.

Dr. P. Aldea