Can I Get a Chemical Peel for Scars on my Back?

Can you use a chemical peel for white scarring on the back?

Chemical Peel for white scars

+2

While it is possible to perform a chemical peel on the back, the healing response is not as good in this area as the face. In addition, hypopigmented scars (the white type) are difficult to treat regardless of the area of the body.

Unfortunately, we rarely see good results for white scars. As long as you are of the mind that any improvement makes it worthwhile and that you understand that you may have no improvement, it's worth a try. Good luck.

Chemical peels for back acne

+2

This is one of my favorite treatments for acne on the back. Since it is hard for patients to apply things to the back, we do the chemical peel in the office every 3 to 4 weeks and usually the results are excellent.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist

Chemical peels for scars

+2

Yes, it is possible to get chemical peels for scars on back, but this has to be done very cautiously, because it may cause more problems.  It may be better to do laser treatment or microdermabrasion.

H. Eliot Y. Ghatan, MD

I don't recommend chemical peel for back scars

+2

Peeling for scars is often quite "hit or miss." And this is for treatment on the face where it is usually the best. On the back, where the blood supply is not nearly as good, I wouldn't recommend it.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels to the Back and Extremities: Acne Scars

+2

Acne scars and hyperpigmented scars occur commonly on the back and extremities. The skin appendages on these areas differ from the face and thus require specific measures to avoid complications.

Secondly, it is rather difficult to pretreat these areas before a deep chemical peel.

Our office routinely performs chemical peels of various type and depth on the back and extremities. When discussing this option with your physician, make sure he or she is board certified and has experience in this specific anatomic area of peeling.  I usually perform the Melapeel for this type of scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Back skin is different

+1

The issue with the back skin is the thickness of the dermis. It is some of the thickest skin you have on your body. Peels and laser treatments typically work on superficial scars but can have problems with deeper scars.

The thicker dermis many times means thicker scars. The thicker the scar, the more difficult it is to improve (you can never completely remove the scar).

Chemical peels likely will not significantly improve the scar you describe.

Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Steven H. Williams, MD