Will Chemical Peel Leave Scars on Face?

I'll use it because I have scars from acne.

Can I get scarred from a chemical peel?

+1

Absolutely. Anything is possible. When people tell you that something is always safe, you should run in the opposite direction. It probably means that they have not had much experience. If you are being treated in a dermatologist or plastic surgeon's office chances are that you are in the safest environment that is possible. A new patient should be asked lots of preliminary questions which will help the skin expert physician choose the safe procedure.

Washington DC Dermatologist

Most chemical peels don't scar the face

+1

All chemical peels have a risk of scarring, infection and discoloration. The higher the concentration, then the higher the risk. The risks can be greatly minimized by using a steroid lotion after the peels as well and bleaching creams and sunscreens and good followup with your doc. Light chem peels run about $175-350 while medium TCA peels run about $750-1500 for the face. Acne scarring often need punch grafting and/or filling up scars as well and maybe even dermabrasions ($3500) or laser treatments.

Good Luck.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peel for Acne Scars

+1

It will certainly help. The risk of scarring from chemical peel depends on the strength of the peel and your skin type.

If you are a pure caucasian without any mix race, then a medium depth chemical peel such as 35% TCA will give you good result with very little risk.

You should also consider Sculptra, which is a filler for facial contours. It helps build up the skin collagen and diminishes acne scars.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing is Better for Acne Scars

+1

In my experience use of Traditional CO2 Laser is the very best treatment for acne scarring although we often combine this treatment with punch excisions or filler injections done several weeks before the laser. The laser treatment is relatively deep and requires 7-14 days for complete healing with another 2-3 months of some redness. It is not a treatment for the faint of heart but it can lead to dramatic improvement. Chemical peels are not as dependable for acne scarring in my hands.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels and Acne Scars

+1

Chemical peels can treat acne scars by improving skin quality and tightening the skin.  Although every procedure has risks, the goal is to identify your individual characteristics and design a peel that targets your skin without causing additional scarring and hyperpigmentation.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS