Dark Scars After Chemical Peel

I originally went to the doctor for acne treatment, but while there, I explained her that I'm going on vacation in June, and I would like to go with a clear face. She suggested that I have chemical peel.

She gave me an antbiotic to take for a month, and Retin-A and Cetaphil to use on my face,then i went back to her in about 2 weeks for a chemical peel, while the assistant was cleaning my face for the peel, I felt burning pain. I told her and the dermatologist, who then said we will do the B-lift 20% instead of the chemical peel. It burned like she said when she applied it and then it cooled down. I washed my face, it was frost white, and then the MA applied moisturizer and sunscreen.

The spots then turned dark, and the doctor said it was dead skin, and that it will fall off in 24 hours. However, it's still here and it looks horrible, like burns. Is this normal?

Appearance after a chemical peel.

+2

Dear Nicole,

I'm not sure what a "B-Lift" is, or exactally what was applied to your face. The pictures you provided are only 24 hrs after the procedure, so "scarring" is not possible. Scar tissue takes days and weeks to form.

You appear to have either experienced an allergic reaction, or possibly a burn. I think the dark scabs will fall off, and the underlying skin will be a bit pink. You need to see your doctor emergently (today) to carefully recommend further treatment / wound care so the risk of scarring or pigment changes will be minimized.

The other very important advice I can give is to completely avoid the sun. I would suggest wearing a large brim hat, and large sun-glasses when you go from your car to the doctor's office.

Best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.