Chemical Peel for New Purple Stretch Marks?

There is a new fad going on, at day spas, and also being offered in home kits. I decided I would try it, it is 25 for 3 10 min lactic acid treatments, I had the first one, their was no severe pain, and the little bit of pain felt better in an hour. I'm still skeptical, since there are no real sure fire ways to remove stretch marks, but we will never no if things work unless we try them, I was wondering if this treatment is offered at the derm, and how long should I wait to decided if it worked?

Chemical peels not recommended for treating stretch marks

+1

Stretch marks are a type of scar where the lactic acid doesn't reach the correct layer of the skin-i.e:  dermis to correct the problem significantly.  I do not recommend chemical peels to treat stretch marks because they do nothing to remove the redness in stretch marks and do not remodel the skin to blend stretch marks with the surrounding skin.  We have had great success in treating stretch marks with lasers.  There are many other treatment options available for the improvement of stretch marks, such as the V-Beam, IPL, Fraxel and Pixel lasers as well as Thermage.  I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in lasers for an in-person assessment. 

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/laser/stretch_mark.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Purple Stretch Marks

+1

Hi Samuel.  Usually purple stretch marks have a vascular component to them.  For vascular stretch marks, we resolve them quickly with a pulsed dye lasers.  See the photos below and consider this as an alternative.  Also, in many cases reddish or purple stretch marks may resolve on their own over time.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/stretchmarksLaserRemovalBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx

Chemical peels for stretch marks is not a good idea

+1

I would advise you against doing chemical peels for stretch marks. In my opinion you would be throwing your money away. Peels remove the upper layers of your skin. Stretch marks are due to issues in the deeper dermis. Seeing a dermatologist with expertise in laser surgery can often help improve the appearance of these. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon