Will Chemical Peel Work for Dark Spots?

I'm 24 years old. My knees and underarm are kind of dark…really dark. My question is, will chemical peel treatment work for me? Thank you.

Treating dark knees and underarms

+1

Best to speak with your dermatologist to make sure you don't have a condition called acanthosis nigricans. Otherwise, your complaint is a common one in people with darker skin, and I find topical prescription creams to be more effective and cost effective and safer than chemical peeling.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Darkening of knees and underarms

+1

The skin findings you are describing are somewhat common. You should, however, be evaluated by a dermatologist to ensure that you do not have a condition called acanthosis nigricans in which people develop dark areas of skin (common locations include the neck, underarms and hands). I would not suggest putting anything on these areas until you are first evaluated.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist