Ask a doctor

Will Chemical Peel Work for Dark Spots?

I'm 24 years old. My knees and underarm are kind of dark…really dark. My question is, will chemical peel treatment work for me? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2

Treating dark knees and underarms

Best to speak with your dermatologist to make sure you don't have a condition called acanthosis nigricans. Otherwise, your complaint is a common one in people with darker skin, and I find topical prescription creams to be more effective and cost effective and safer than chemical peeling.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Darkening of knees and underarms

The skin findings you are describing are somewhat common. You should, however, be evaluated by a dermatologist to ensure that you do not have a condition called acanthosis nigricans in which people develop dark areas of skin (common locations include the neck, underarms and hands). I would not suggest putting anything on these areas until you are first evaluated.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.