Will Chemical Peel Work for Dark Spots?

I'm 24 years old. My knees and underarm are kind of dark…really dark. My question is, will chemical peel treatment work for me? Thank you.

Skin darkening

The condition you describe sounds most consistent with" acanthosis  nigricans" which you can think of as a thckening of the skin surface which then appears dark. But don't rub or abrade or apply topicals in an attempt to thin the surface- that may be counterproductive. Peels are not a treatment of choice for this. Best to have an office visit with a board certified dermatologist who will examine you to properly diagnose and treat you. As you can imagine, guessing merely from your description is ... Guessing ! An educated guess, but nonetheless, a guess. 

Greenwich Dermatologist

Treating dark knees and underarms

Best to speak with your dermatologist to make sure you don't have a condition called acanthosis nigricans. Otherwise, your complaint is a common one in people with darker skin, and I find topical prescription creams to be more effective and cost effective and safer than chemical peeling.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Darkening of knees and underarms

The skin findings you are describing are somewhat common. You should, however, be evaluated by a dermatologist to ensure that you do not have a condition called acanthosis nigricans in which people develop dark areas of skin (common locations include the neck, underarms and hands). I would not suggest putting anything on these areas until you are first evaluated.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist