Can a Cheeklift Lift the jowls slightly?

I have heard this, is this true?

Cheek lift to elevate the jowls

Yes,  a well performed cheek lift can lift and improve the jowls because they are caused by cheek descent.

Cheek Lift

Thank you for your question. Yes, there can be a slight lifting in the lower face. This is why I like Voluma so much. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift benefits

Cheek lifts will;
  1. Lift the cheeks
  2. Improve the marionette lines
  3. Soften the jowls

Robert M. Freund, MD

Can a cheek lift lift the jowls slightly?

There should be some improvement jowling after a cheek lift. As the fatty malar pad descends with age, there is onset of jowling. One of the goals of cheek lift surgery is to restore the malar pad to a better position.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift can lift jowls

The term cheek lift can mean different things to different plastic surgeons, but usually includes the skin and SMAS. If the SMAS is addressed, the jowls will be lifted as well.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

A matter of technique

With a standard SMAS flap cheek lift, the jowls should be tightened.  You may also need some selective liposuction to the jowls.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift for jowls

• Jowls are best improved by a lower face and neck lift.
  • Descent of cheek tissue is best improved by a cheek lift.
  • The cheek lift may lift jowls slightly.

Ultherapy cheek lift with jowl lift in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in Ulthera non surgical cheek lifts which can work on the lower face and jowls. This is an excellent modality for facial rejuvenation. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cheeks and jowls

Here's an unusual example where I disagree with Dr. Rand's response. 

The cheeks are a separate anatomic area from the jowls and they age by loss of tone, possibly volume, and descent. The jowls are held at the naso-labial fold level and aging results in both descent and medial fall which is better addressed by dissection and lift upward and back as in part of a facelift or extended necklift. 

I would not count on any long term improvement of the jowls with a cheek/midface lift alone.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Cheeklift or Midface Lift to improve Jowls

Lifting the cheeks can help the jowl area- especially if volume is added to the cheeks simultaneously (cheek implants). Visit our San Diego facelift gallery for some examples.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon