Can Cheekbones Be Re-Positioned After a MACS Lift?

I had a macs lift a year and a half ago. I knew the surgeon was going to lift under the skin but i didn't know he would be re positioning the cheekbones! I already had high cheekbones and the lift has pulled them up higher so that now there is a smaller gap from under my eye to where the cheekbone sits. It has elongated my face I've lost the oval shape I had. Can they be put back to their original position? Was told the new scar tissue would make it difficult to re position them back again?

Cheekbone

+2

The cheek bone are not moved with a MACS lift, but the underlying muscle and soft tissue can be elevated. Usually this is a desired result. It's difficult to make a comment on your case without a photo of what is actually bothering you. It might be that some filler to even out some areas may be helpful to you before having another surgery. If not you haven't burned any bridges.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift techniques and lifting the cheeks

+2

In some facelift techniques, the fatty tissues around the cheeks are lifted to the side.

Whether or not this is done should be discussed prior to the procedure to clarify if that is the look that the patient wants.

However, swelling shortly after the surgery often causes distortion the lateral cheek area, particularly with the MACS or (less so) with a high SMAS type procedure.

Facelift techniques are now much more powerful than they were in the past, and these issues are now important to discuss with patients.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Cheekbones Not Re-Positioned

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  Face lifts don't move the cheekbones, just the soft tissue around them

Sam Naficy, MD

Facelift

+1

Scar tissue can be an issue.  You should first check with your surgeon as he/she knows what was done, and the suture used, etc.  From there, you can decide on a plan.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Cheek area lifted to high after Face Lift

+1

In various types of Face Lifts, like the Mid Face Lift....the facial tissues are lifted upwards and backwards up onto the cheek bones.  If the cheeks are already full, this can create an unaesthetic looking cheek area.  This can be modified using revision Face Lift, implants or fillers based on the geometric orientation of the facial tissues at this point and how they vary from the aesthetic ideal.  The cheek bones themselves are still what they were pre-op and have not changed or moved...it is the facial tissue that has moved creating the change in cheek appearance.

Repositioning Cheek Bones after MACS Lift

+1

The cheek bones were not moved with a MACS lift but the overlying muscle, fat and skin can be lifted. Pictures and a copy of the operative report, which would reveal exactly what was done, would be helpful in answering your question.

Repositioning cheeks after MACS lift.

+1

Repositioning cheeks after MACS lift would be difficult depending on how much scar is there. I would need to see this in person to give a better opinion.

Facelift is a soft tissue procedure.

+1

There are probably as many variations on Facelift procedures as there are surgeons performing the procedure. Sometimes there other procedures performed to augment the bony structure but that is not the usual case. In the MACS facelift a suture is placed in attempt to mobilize the malar fat pad (fat over the cheekbone). This usually descends with age and elevating it often gives a pleasant fullness over the cheekbones.  Every case is different. Some patients will not benefit from this component of the MACS or simply will not like the look. Please, speak with the surgeon who did the surgery. He knows best what was done.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Impossible to answer this question without a personal consultation.

+1

Dear Ann

Unfortunately, there are often unintended or unforeseen consequences to cosmetic surgery despite the best efforts of cosmetic surgeons to prepare and inform patients about what yo expect.  As results are subjective, sometimes it is just a difference of opinion regarding the results.  Yes, your feeling very much matter but this fullness is likely a goal of the surgery you had.  Occasionally, I find that patients have theories about what has changed in their face that are not always right.  Something has changed by the analysis is not correct.  It may be that the facial balance is off.  Your idea of what is off is likely correct, but sometimes another opinion (or several opinions) is very helpful in getting to the bottom of what is going on.