Cheek Liposuction or Mini Facelift for Bad Fat Graft?

I realize this may be difficult without photos. I had fat grafting to the cheek area a yr ago and it gave me terrible fold lines around my mouth I've never had before. It also made my under eye appearance much more hollow/wrinkled, especially when smiling. I am 31. Can any type of mini face or cheek lift help correct the lines around mouth/reduce the overfilled appearance of the cheek "apple" (and thus reduce the poor appearance of eyes when smiling)? Any info/suggestions are very appreciated

It is not uncommon to have problems from facial fat grafting.

+4

Facial fat grafting tends to have a whole lot of problems. Some work out ok but many get lumpy, bumpy or shift. Yours sounds like you need to lipo correct the cheeks and fill in under the eyes and around the mouth. Minilifts wouldn't do much for you in this case.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction or facelift

+2

It is impossible to say without actually examining you in person and knowing where the fat was injected. From what you are describing you have several areas of concern, lower face, cheeks and under eye area. Some or all may be related to your fat grafting and some may simply be genetic or a result of normal aging.  Focal fat deposits can be removed using careful facial liposuction. Lines around the mouth may be due to volume or fat loss or may be due to loose skin or wrinkles. Some combination of liposuction, minilift or full lift or midface lift and possibly laser resurfacing.  It sounds like you need a complete exam by a qualified surgeon who offers all of these possibilities to see what is best for you

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Undesirable fat grafting and correction

+1
The obvious answer is that it is difficult to tell without a photograph however it sounds like you may have been over injected in the wrong areas. If you would like to send me a photograph on the link below I would be happy to give you an evaluation. I have been doing fat transfer for over 15 years and it is very important that less is more in this procedure. You do not want to bring prominence to the other areas that you are complaining about by over injecting the cheek area. It is possible that a face lift or mini lift may provide some correction for you. I would seek a skilled surgeon in your area for a second opinion and express your concerns. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Correcting a Bad Facial Fat Graft

+1

This sounds like you have been over corrected.  This over correction has made the places that were not treated appear hollowed out in comparison.

If it had been less than a year since treatment, I would advise waiting for the swelling to go down and for the fat to absorb.  Approximately 40% of the fat will absorb within the first year.  Since it has been more than a year, you could consider additional fat grafting in previously untreated areas to balance out facial features create harmony in your appearance.

A mini face lift may help because it could remove some extra fat.

Navin K. Singh, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Face lift

+1

You need a full examination and discussion regarding your expectation. Then all available options aand the correction of the fat graft can be also addressed. You may need both removal of the injected fat or part of it and a face lift fo a good result.