Are Cheek Lifts Considered Old School?

I am 45. I feel I need the works....facelift, necklift, lower bleph and fat grafting; however, I don't know if I am up for it. My eyes age me the most along with the sagging cheeks. I do also have a very slight jowl with marionette lines. A cheeklift along with a lower bleph hasn't been presented as an option and I have consulted with several board certified plastic surgeons. I have not met with an Occuplasty. Is this still considered a good option?

Cheek LIfts are not Old School

+2

The term "cheek lift" is probably an antequated term. Most refer to this operation as a midface lift. The midfacelift for cheek rejuvenation is an example of the old becoming new as the new is then old. Today's midfacelift is an operation to lift and tighten the aging cheeks, marionette lines and jowls. It can be visualized as the operation to rejuvenate the area between the lower eyelids and the jawline. Lower blepharoplasty is usually recommended at the same time so the lower lid can be blended with the cheek improving the black circles and cheek skin-eyelid skin junction.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift options

+1

The transition zone of the lower eyelid to the cheek defines when an eyelid lift or blepharoplasty becomes a "cheeklift" or aka midface lift.  The orbtial retaining ligament needs to be disconnected to allow a smooth transition from cheek to eyelid.  Seek out a board certified Plastic Surgeon or an Oculplastic surgeon who is familiar with the procedure.  Sagging cheeks can be addressed with injection therapy without surgery however based on your exam, your option of a cheeklift may be more appropriate. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Cheeklift Option

+1

A cheek or midface lift is an option in aging of the eyelids and cheek areas. It is certainly not considered old school, meaning an older and antiquated operation. It has a role to play in cheek rejuvenation but is less commonly done than other methods including cheek implants and injectable fillers. It is an option but whether it is at the top of the list for you would require pictures and furtehr assessment. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facelift/ cheek lift

+1

Based on the information you have given, you should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss a Blepharoplasty and Facelift.  There is really no such operation as just a cheek lift, unless you are referring to cheek implants.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD