Cheek Lift at Same Time As Fat Transfer?

I am planning on having fat grafting in a few months. And my ultimate goal is for the best fat retention/survival possible. But I am toying with the idea of having an endoscopic cheek life. Would it be ok to have this done at the same time? Or would it be better to wait. Would having additional surgery at the time of the fat transfer compromise the potential fat survival?

Cheek Lift and Fat Grafting a Good Idea

+2

Fat grafting at the time of cheek lift is very routine and works quite well.

The fat is placed into a tissue level different from the level where the lift is performed so the grafts can have a high survival rate.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer at the time of Cheek Lift

+1

Yes, fat transfer to the cheeks at the same time as a cheek lift is common and works well in most cases.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cheek lift and fat injections are usually not done at the same time in the same area

+1

You could but you would waste a big area for fat injections, ie along your bone. I never do a cheek lift with fat injections. You don't need both and in fact I think the cheek lift is a big waste of time and money in my opinion. It doesn't do what you want it to do. Filling your cheeks in a special way is what you mignt want to think about.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lfit and fat injections

+1

I like to do the facelift andif necessary at the same time and the patient wants, some fat grafting to augment the cheeks.  The fat inejctions can then be repeated or  facial fillers of hyaluronic acid can be added.

You can do fat and a midface lift together...

+1

We routinely do both fat grafting and mid-face lifts at the same time. I do tend to put in less fat than I would do if I were doing fat alone. I think in most patients the results from conservative fat grafting look so nice and natural that it has become our routine. The only patients I would tend to avoid fat grafting at the time of a mid-face lift are those with very full, round cheeks. I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

I would recommend doing the cheek lift first as you may find that this gives you the result you desire.  Fat can always be added later if needed.  Working with one variable as opposed to two will allow greater accuracy in the result.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting

+1

The endoscopic mid face lift is in the subperiosteal plane, the samr plane that fat in injected or transfered to.

This plane hides the lumpiness if it occure very well. Therefore you cannot transfer fat to that plane at the same time. However one can put some fat in the fat of the cheeck at the same time, but such  needs a siginificant expertise in fat transfer

Simultaneous Cheek Lift and Fat Grafting

+1

Both procedures can effectively be done at the same time. However, depending on your cheek contour, fat augmentation may not be necessary after the cheek is elevated. Your surgeon will advise you pre-operatively.

Fat injections along with Cheek lift for facial rejuvenation

+1

Hi Jennifer5160,

Midface or cheek lifts are plastic surgery procedures to improve the middle portion of the face & cheeks. Cheek lift plastic surgery may be performed via multiple approaches. This facial area is also commonly treated with fat injections as part of facial rejuvenation. 

Depending on the specific cosmetic needs of each patient, fat injections may be combined at the same time of a cheek lift. Each procedure address different components of facial aging. Fat graft survival after injection is variable to a degree, as some fat will always fade with time. Touch-up procedures may be required to maintain results. After a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. C

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafts and facelifts a winning combination

+1

Facelifts can be done in conjunction with fat graft procedures, and this is usually a winning combination.  The blood supply to the face is excellent, so fat cells have a good chance of survival if the procedure is done correctly.  In the hands of a capable plastic surgeon, the facelift procedure should not impair the necessary blood supply.  This is especially true with a minimally invasive procedure such as an endoscopic lift.  Because lifts do not correct the loss of tissue volume that comes with aging, I often perform some form of fat grafting on my cheek or facelift patients and find that it works very well.  

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon