Cheek Lift for Thinner Face and Defined Cheekbones?

I'm 20 years old and I want a cheek lift, my lower face is too round but I really like the way my face looks when I pull the skin on the side of my face up (near my sideburns). It makes my face thinner and gives my cheekbones more definition. Is there a procedure I could get that would do that? Is that considered a cheek lift? Thanks.

Cheeklift in a 20 year old

+2

If is unlikely that a cheeklift would benefit anybody as young as you. The cheeklift, in it many forms, typically addresses changes of aging in the lower eyelid and cheek area. These are not yet present as a 20 year old.

However, it is possible that the geometry of the face is not ideal. This is something that doesn't improve with time and so could be addressed even at age 20. Cheek implants, or in our practice autologous fat-fascial grafts to the cheeks, are entirely appropriate for a hypomalar facies, where the cheekbones are very flat and the eyes prominent. If this condition is severe, craniofacial surgery may even be warranted.

Likewise the canthus of the eye can be suboptimally formed, with a downgoing cant to it. In such a case, a cheeklift would indeed be an option, in conjunction with canthal reconstruction.

These are unusual cases, and I mention them only for completeness.

Be wary of anybody who wants to remove buccal fat pads this early, as the face can change considerably over the next 10 years, and you don't want to have a prematurely hollow appearance.

It is best to consult a plastic surgeon with expertise in facial surgery to decide which procedure, if any, would be appropriate for you.

I remember when I was 20 and I had many insecurities about my appearance; that is normal. So don't fall prey to opportunistic practitioners who exploit this insecurity. Seek several consultations from top surgeons to get their opinions.

Cheekbones

+1

It is not easy to give you an educated answer without all the facts. That is important. If it is just a volume issue then fat grafting can be done and there is no scars or incisions. You could also consider a cheek implant, but a physical exam is best to decide. My best advice is to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who will truly access your issues and give you an honest opinion vs the opinion you want to hear.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Pulling up the cheeks where the side burn is considered more of a face lift

+1

This would be a face lift. Ultimately I would like to see pictures of you. Fat injections could be the other alternative for you. I would think about this option for something that could be minmally invasive.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

A picture wil help give you a better advice.

You are very young, may consider fat transfer to cheecks, Malar implants.

The last thing you will consider is face lift. Must evaluate your Masseter muscle. If it is too prominent for your face Botox may help.

Changing the shape of your face.

+1

You may want to consider the use of fillers to the cheek area (malar eminence) to effect a nonsurgical cheek lift. If this is a desired result, you could consider long term maintenance with fat grafting. The use of chin implants and a buccal fat extraction could also provide you with some change in the appearance of the shape of your face.

Cheek Lifts in 20 year olds

+1

Without a photograph it is utterly impossible to begin to advise you on what procedure may be suitable in your case - if any. My inclination is to suggest you find another outlet for your angst and energies in the place of Plastic surgery which at your age is not only unlikely to help you from what really upsets you but can leave permanent scars.

Cheeklift for a thinner face.

+1

It is difficult to say what you might help you, but not removing fat from your face. See an experienced facial plastic surgeon and let him advise you if you need anything at all. At 20 we all think something might improve our looks. Be careful of surgeons who prey on young people--doing unnecessary surgery.

20 years old is too young for cheek lifts

+1

Without a photo, I can't see what you look like but I'll say catagorically that you are too young for facial cosmetic surgery like a cheek lift.  Enjoy your youth, like yourself, don't be hypercritical of your looks, get in great shape and hold off on cosmetic surgery for at least 20 years. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS