Is Cheek Lift the Same Thing As Lower Facelift?

If a Cheek lift is not the same, what does the lower facelift improve? Is the recovery as hard as a full Facelift? I'm in need of Necklift at age 42.

Cheek Lift, Lower Facelift, Neck Lift-What do they Mean?

+2

Unfortunately our business is not unlike other small businesses in that we all try to be innovative and separate ourselves from "the herd." So procedures that are standard are given new names for marketing purposes. So let's look at the different procedures.

The cheek area is pretty self explanatory. To lift this area the tissue is elevated off the facial bones under the cheeks and suspend, via sutures, to the temporal tissues. The lay term is a "Cheek Lift." But the real name is a Midface Lift because in anatomical language the cheeks are part of the middle area, from top to bottom, of the face.

A Facelift involves the tissues from the ears forward to the nasolabial folds and the entire neck forward of the ears. The plane of dissection is not as deep, usually, as the midface lift. The standard facelift will elevate the lower face and the neck and thus one could consider it a "Lower Facelift."

Finally a Necklift is basically a facelift without the face portion and involves a shorter incision around the ears.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift versus Neck lift

+2

There are lots of names and different terminology for various surgical procedures on the face. A cheek lift is commonly known as a midface lift. This is less common than a facelift which helps the lateral face, jawline and neck. Midface or cheek lift has been replaced in part by fat grafting or other dermal filler injection. Facelift is the gold standard for defining your jawline and smoothing your neck. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

A cheek-neck lift is really the same thing as a facelift

+2

Different doctors have different definitions of what they call a cheek lift or a cheek-neck lift. In my book, this is really a facelift. Sometimes patients aren't ready to admit they need a facelift so cheek-neck lift is easier to "swallow." Neck can be done by themselves for fullness and extra skin under the chin. This has a more limited incision. But once you are looking to correct jowls as well, its really a facelift.

For younger patients, sometimes up to mid 50's we can get good results without and incision by using the SmartLipo laser.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Is a Cheek Lift the Same Thing As a Lower Facelift

+1

The cheek lift which is a surgical procedure has been out of favor and replaced by dermal fillers.  The fillers lift the cheeks and deemphasize the nasolabial folds. A lower face lift is a surgical procedure but can be delayed indefinitely if fillers are used in the jowl area and for the perimental lines.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Cheek lift and lower face lift are not the same

+1

A cheek lift is a procedure that is often done through the eyelid or through a temple incision. Often times it includes an incision in the mouth. It is a lot of work for very little results in my opinion. Lower face lifts pull up some of the neck and the jowls and the lower part of the face. So the results are not the same.  Sometimes a face lift can be taken over the smiling muscles to lift the middle part of the face. But the best option for the middle part of the face is a face lift done with fat grafting.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift, lower facelift and cheek lift

+1

The difficult part of this question is that different people use different terminology.  A cheek lift usually equates with a midface lift which is only appropriate for a small subpopulation of young people with early facial aging and is almost never employed in my practice.  A lower facelift is a neck lift +/- midface work.  In reality the neck lift requires near the complete facelift dissection anyway and does not save you recovery.  The danger in performing a lower face lift is taht it can create a strange transition between the upper mid and lower thirds of the face presenting an unnatural appearance.  for that reason it is the rare patient that gets a necklift or lower face lift in my practice.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks MD

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Cheeklift and lower face lift

+1

A cheeklift refers to rejuvenation via suspension of your cheeks (the region from below your eyes eyes to your laugh lines and corner of your lips.  A lower face lift refers to rejuvenation via suspension of the neck and jaw line.  Deeper plane and mutli-vector facelifts can address both the cheek and lower face/neck.  The term "facelift" can potentially apply to any part of the face and therefore can refer to any surgery addressing rejuvenation of the face as long as you qualify it with some descriptive terms like upper face/forehead, midface/cheek, or lower face/neck.  Depending on what you want addressed, facelifting can be customized for your needs and budget.   Have a nice day!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

A CheekLift and a Facelift are Different Operations

+1

A cheek or midface lift is a different operation than what most people perceive as a facelift. While it is one of the numerous 'facelifting' operations, it is done for improving sagging tissue of the cheeks and tissues directly below the eye. It can also help soften a deep lip-cheek groove or fold.  The incisions for a midface lift are placed along the lower eyelids and out in a crow's feet line. A facelift is really a neck and jowl operation that tightens the neck and smoothes out the sagging jowls. The incisions for a facelift are placed around the ears. These operations are often done together for a more complete facial rejuvenation effect but are also done alone based on the patient's facial aging needs and desires. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheek Lift vs. Lower Face Lift

+1

A lower face lift mostly helps the area of the lower face, jaw line and neck.  The improvement is mostly the lateral aspect of the lower face.  The middle part around the nose and mouth are not affected very much.  The mid and upper face are not helped.  The nasolabial folds are not helped much. 

A cheek lift helps mostly the mid face and the area around the mouth and nose and cheekbones.  A cheek lift is more vertical and results in a look more like you see when you pull your face up or you stand on your head.  A lower face lift can make things tighter but a cheek lift can make things fuller.  A cheek lift can raise the corners of the mouth a little and smooth out the nasolabial folds and fill in the hollowness around the lower eyelids. 

Cheek lifts can pull down the lower eyelid if the cheek is not supported properly. I really like the Endotine MidFace Fixation gizmo. It provides good, solid support while the tissues are healing in their new position and then it dissolves. And, no, I don't get any money from the Endotine folks. I just really like their gizmos.

Sometimes it is advisable to do both procedures, a lower face lift and a cheek lift.   Faces come in endless varieties and every procedure needs to address the patients unique anatomy, health status, skin condition and goals. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Clarification of Face Lifts, Cheek Lifts, and Neck Lifts

+1

The terms used to describe procedures for facial rejuvenation can be a bit confusing. A "face lift" can have several meanings, so it is important to clarify with your surgeon exactly what will be corrected. In general a cheek-neck lift is the same as a face lift. Informing a patient that he/she needs a cheek-neck lift is a little more pleasant than telling them that they need a facelift. A lower facelift, cheek lift and midfacelift are procedures performed to address specific regions and are components of a face and neck lift. The advantages of these procedures is shorter incisions, shorter operative time, and quicker recovery. Importantly, there should be correction of the muscle (SMAS and Platymus) for long lasting results. The "mini-lift" or the branded varieties advertised do not correct the muscle have produced disappointing results which do not last very long (6 to12 months).

I would recommend a consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon who is well versed with all of the options for facial rejuvenation.

Best Regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS