Will Cheek Lift Leave the Eyelids in Worse Position Than Before the Cheek Surgery?

Or is cheek lift useless?I read an article which says: Lifting tissues against the pull of gravity should probably be viewed as a temporary fix.Regardless of the technique employed, soft tissues will once again yield to the hard force of gravity,often within A YEAR OR TWO. When the midface does eventually fall, it may leave the eyelids in worse position because the tissue invasion distorts and/or weakens natural eyelid support and may turn a part of theorbicularis muscle into scar. Is it true?

Cheek Lift Complications; real but uncommon

+2

Regarding: "Will Cheek Lift Leave the Eyelids in Worse Position Than Before the Cheek Surgery?
Or is cheek lift useless
?I read an article which says: Lifting tissues against the pull of gravity should probably be viewed as a temporary fix.Regardless of the technique employed, soft tissues will once again yield to the hard force of gravity,often within A YEAR OR TWO. When the midface does eventually fall, it may leave the eyelids in worse position because the tissue invasion distorts and/or weakens natural eyelid support and may turn a part of theorbicularis muscle into scar. Is it true
?"

A few comments.

There is NO ONE Cheek Lift. Since 1997 when the operation was introduced it had undergone multiple changes. Therefore, each subset operation has its own set of capabilities and drawbacks.

Common to ALL man made structures and endeavors it the fact that EVENTUALLY they will succumb to gravity. I have yet to meet anything that gravity will not beat. While that includes roofs and ceilings, it also includes Breast, Face and Cheek Lifts. The purpose of lifting operations is to detach the tissues from a sagging, aged location and reposition them in their former youthful location. While gravity begins to act the moment you get off the OR table, you will NOT return to the before surgery appearance in 1-2 years. That may be seen with failed barbed suture lifts NOT with a properly done Face or Cheek Lift. It takes over 10-15 to see major aging changes AND they usually occur at a slower rate than had you had no surgery done.

As regards "it may leave the eyelids in worse position because the tissue invasion distorts and/or weakens natural eyelid support ", this is partially true in certain circumstances. As we ALL age, our lower lid becomes longer and looser. ANY pull on the lower lid may result is "white show" and corneal exposure or worse, in ectropion (look picture up on Google). For this reason anyone with lower lid laxity having ANY major lower lid or cheek procedure SHOULD have a lid tightening procedure (Canthopexy, canthoplasty) to prevent such complications. If this is NOT done and the cheek suspension fails (not likely) you may end up with one of these complications.

For ALL of these reasons, you want to have your Cheek Lift from a REAL Plastic Surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

In my opinion yes. Cheek lifts can lead to issues within the eyelid

+1

one way to look at it is whether there is more strengh in the tissues of the eyelid or the cheek. The cheek is larger and also more dependent than the eyelid. The cheek always wins.  In my opinion the cheek lift is an inferior procedure that doesn't do much other than being useful for reconstruction purposes. Fat injections and other volumizing procedures are the way to go.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

I usually do not like to perform a cheek lift as the only procedure. I usually incorporate it with a facelift.  Good technique should minimize the risks of complications.

+1

The answer to your question depends on what surgery is being performed and who is performing it.  As an Oculoplastic surgeon, I have repaired many cases of lower eyelid malposition after midface lift.  The key is understanding the eyelid anatomy and reconstructing the eyelid in a way that is secure.

When I perform midface lift, I always make sure the eyelids are in optimal position.  This results in improved eyelid position.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

One must first take into consideration the approach used to raise the cheeks.  Aproaches can include and combine going through the lower eyelid transconjucntivally, through the temporal hairline, through a standard facelift incision, and through the mouth where the gum and inside of the lip lining meet.  All incisions should be well hidden and can each accomplish different goals.  I frequently use the eyelid approach if I am trying to lift the position of a lower eyelid especially if I am fixing a certain type of ectropion or eyelid retraction from previous blepharoplasty surgery.  I go through the temporal approach to augment the "apple" of the cheek and can even combine this with a cheek implant.  This goes the same for the intraoral approach which can make the other approaches more robust if combined.  The eyelid position is most affected by the eyelid route and should in fact improve it.  The other approaches if the canthus us left untouched should not affect eyelid position.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Position after Cheek Lift

+1

If the cheek lift is done through a lower eyelid incision, rather than with a scalp incision, the lid contour and position should not be worse, but actually be  improved if necessary. You will continue to age, but that will happen whether or not you have the cheek lift. The lower eyelid will actually be strengthened because the lid will be lifted and tightened during surgery.

Lifting against gravity

+1

No matter what surgery you have, you will continue to age.  Surgery does not prevent aging.  With again, you loose elasticity in your skin and volume in your tissues.  This leads to sagging of the skin.  With cosmetic surgery, the skin can be tightened and the volume replaced.  This is a fix which can put you back several years and give you a rejuvenated appearance.  

David Shafer, MD

+1

Very hard to answer over the internet without photos. My guess is the eyelid should be in a more asethetic position with the cheek lift but you really should see in person 3 opinions. 

Cheeklifts do not leave eyelid position worse.

+1

The eyelid position will in fact be better than before if the surgeon is familiar with the proper way of doing this. We have been doing these for more than 10 years and have had no patient with any complication. And it does last if properly done!