Cheek Lift/Lower Bleph: Stitch in Medial Corner/droop in One Spot

I had lower transcutaneous bleph on both eyes and cheek lift thru temple/mouth incisions 8 weeks ago. its been misery! i noticed the doc put a stitch in the medial corner of my right eye, and now there is scarring and a droop in the lid (see pics). under the droop i feel a verticle line of possible scarring?? both eyes seem "wide eyed" with the left corner feeling pulled down as the day goes on. also, cheeks are so high my face is distorted when i smile. main concern is they eyes.

Lower Eyelid -Cheeklift Problems

+2

It is very common to have lower eyelid positioning problems after the type cheeklift you had. Overall, your chhks appear only slightly over done though I suspect this is due to the normal swelling for this procedure which will certainly last for months. It appears that your surgeon extended the transconjunctival into your lateral canthus, probably to tighten the lower lid a bit. Your right lower lid appears to have a small midline chemosis , which is common with this type blepharoplasty, and is uniformly temporary. The larger question is why your upper eyelids are so much higher and the nature of the stitch in the medial corner of your eye?  For the long term you may have a slight change to the shape of your eyes and your cheeks should improve over time.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Lift/Lower Bleph with prolonged swelling

+2

You stated that you had a transcutaneous blepharoplasty with a cheek lift. Looking at your photos, it looks like the cheek lift (mid facelift) was performed through the lower lid. If this is the case, prolonged swelling is the nature of the procedure, sometimes over 6 months. Also some deformity of the lower eyelid is more prevalent, such as the sagging of the lower lid (ectropion) and the lid pulling away from the globe (eye ball). This appears to be the case with your surgery. At this time, the best thing you can do is to protect your eyes from dryness with eye drops, such as Refresh drops during the daytime and ointment at night. If the situation is unchanged at 6 months, I suggest seeking a second opinion. A cortisone dose pack and ice soaks may also be in order. If more surgery is indicate, you must what until the swelling has subdued first. this is very important. Good luck.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift miseries question? Dr George Commons

+2

You are way too early to worry.  See your doctor and if needed seek a second opinion.  There are a lot of little tricks to seed this up but be patient.   At times tiny dose Kenalog injects are useful as well as courses o Medrol dosepak.   Warm compreses help.  Eye care to prevent dryness includes cool mist vaporizer in room, Refresh eye drops, Celluvisc gel tears, and Refresh onitment.   At times Tobradex drops and ointment help because of steroid effect and antibiotic effect.   Much can be done to comfort you while you heal. Dr George Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

It sounds like you had a subperiosteal midface lift combined with your blepharoplasty. Prolonged edema is common after this technique and you certainly still look very swollen. Be patient. You need another 4-6 months. Ask your doctor if he/she thinks that massage would help you.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival cheek lift is a very temperamental operation. Select you surgeon with care.

+1

I personally do not do the transconjuctival cheek lift.  I don't think it is anatomically a logical operation to do.  Your appearance is fairly common after this operation, but many of the problems you are experiencing may be related to swelling.  I wound not reoperate under any circumstances until the swelling has subsided.  It is possible that the problems will vanish with the swelling and another operation will be unnecessary.

Post-blepharoplasty lower eyelid droopiness

+1

Hi. Your lower eyelids are rather tight (in the skin area) and likely also weak (muscle layer). You need to give it more time for the eyelid muscle tone to return (at least 6 months).  In the meantime, it is important to lubricate your eyes to prevent dry eyes.  If symptoms don't improve after the healing period over, then consult an oculoplastic surgeon for possible revisional surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon