Cheek Lift for Acne Scars?

I am a 30 year old African American female. My acne is no longer a problem. However, I have several ice pick acne scars on my cheeks. I have received a suggestion of a Cheek Lift to decrease the appearance of my acne scars. What are your thoughts on this method? What additional suggestions do you have for my Fitzpatrick VI skin type? Thank you!

Cheek Lift for Acne Scars?

+2

Unfortunately, I don't think a cheek lift will effectively treat your acne scars.  You are better off seeking direct treatment to your acne scars.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne Scars Not Helped by Cheek Lift

+2

Though tugging on the skin may make your acne scars look better, it is only because of the tension created by actively stretching the skin.

The kin can't maintain the degree of stretch for more than a few days-weeks.

As the skin relaxes, the tension is released and the scars look just the same.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift is NOT the answer

+2

A cheek lift will not address acne scarring. It is used to improve the contour below the lower eyelid. Acne scarring is best treated with laser skin resurfacing and possibly with surgical excision of very deep scars. Laser skin resurfacing can be accomplished with a fractionated laser (like Fraxel) safely in an African-American patient. Seek the advice of a good plastic surgeon with experience in skin resurfacing and DO NOT do a cheek lift to improve acne scarring. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Many different options for acne scarring

+2

Usually these are best treated with a multiple different modalities.

Some of the deeper scars may need to be excised or grafted.

In other cases fractionated lasers may be beneficial.

Results can also be enhanced with fat grafting to restore lost volume. This perhaps would be less invasive then the cheek lift.

Dermabrasion is an older treatment that still provides some benefits as does skin needling.

Cheek lift not for acne

+1

A cheek lift does not remove the pick scars of acne. It only repositions the ageing tissue that has descended over time.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Cheek lift will not help acne scars.

+1

A cheek lift will have little effect on acne scarring.  Acne scars are anchored to the deeper structures and usually are best dealt with individually.

Acne scars and cheek lift

+1

Cheek lift is unlikely to provide any improvement what so ever to acne scars.  Facelifts, cheeklifts and other lifts lift tissues deeper to the level of the acne scars.  While early on these treatments may lead to apparent results (usually from swelling), there will be no change in the actual appearance of the acne scars after a few months.

Acne scars in patients with darker pigmentation should be treated in a case by case basis with modalities which are less likely to cause hyper or hypo pigmenation.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

No to a cheek lift.

+1

If you are cheeks are sagging, then a cheek lift would be in placed. But it sounds like you would like to remove or at least hide those ice pick acne scars. There are a couple of alternatives you can look into-laser, dermal fillers, direct excision, dermabrasion, and subcision. My best recommendation is to use a Fraxel laser to help reduce your acne scarring.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

More direct ways to address the acne scars.

+1

There may be more direct ways to address the acne scars. Fraxel, profractional and erbium laser resurfacing provide long term benefit.  Fillers may provide short term improvement.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Correct acne scars by scar removal

+1

If you have sagging cheeks, then correct the sag. If you have ice pick scars correct the  scars.

treatment for ise pick scars include;

1- dermabrasion.

2- Laser

3- direct excision

4- subcision and filler.

Robert M. Freund, MD