Cheek Injury. What Can I Do About This Scar? (photo)

My 2 yr old cut her cheek on the corner of a door 4 wks ago- it stopped bleeding after a few min and didn’t appear deep so we didn't go to ER. She still has a red scar (1/2 cm long and <1 mm wide) and when she moves her face, there is a 1.5 cm long indentation near the injury. I have been putting Mederma on it for 2 weeks, massaging with vitamin E oil, applying sunscreen. The redness will liekly fade but will this indent be permanent? Is there anything else I can do? Photo attached is fuzzy.

Scar revision on the cheeks in a child

+1

Early scar revision is sometimes warranted, even if your child is young.  I would speak to a plastic surgeon about early scar revision so that the child can enhance her chances of healing well.  In some circumstances, however, we can take a more conservative approach and wait. 

Scars Improve Over Time.

+1

Upset Mama,

Thankfully, children heal very well. As your daughter gets older, this scar will likely soften and improve. In the meantime, make sure that you apply good, broad-spectrum sunscreen to the area every day while this scar is remodeling over the next few months.

After that, if you and your daughter are still bothered by the scar, you should consult a dermatologist for possible laser or surgical treatment options.

Lisa Chipps, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon