Should I Get Cheek Implants? Or an Alternative? (photo)

I got Radiesse and loved how it made my cheeks look right after. They were projected forward and it gave a nice asthetic. Then the swelling went away and my Dr. said more would actually make my face appear wider, so I want implants. But I hear they may not look good 5-10 yrs after. However, I know people in the entertainment industry get them and they look great, even years later. Can't I just take them out worst-case scenario? Would Sculptra be another viable option; help with projection?

Alternatives for Cheek Augmentation

+2

If you want a permanent solution, cheek implants are your best choice. You have an advantage over most patients because you have a clear picture of what you want to achieve.

Should I Get Cheek Implants? Or an Alternative?

+2

I use Cheek Implants and fillers quite often to create an aesthetically, naturally beautiful shaped cheek and IMHO using Perlane to shape the cheeks is a great option.  Your cheek bones appear full out laterally and cheek implants may make your cheeks too full, so I'd start with Perlane.  There's no inherent magic in any filler or cheek implants. The magic resides in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creationm of a naturally, more attractive face.

Cheek implants vs. fillers.

+2

I think you answered your own question. You like what the filler did and you want it to be permanent. You are describing a cheek implant and if it  is not overdone it will last forever and look natural.

Fat - a good filler choice

+1

implants and fillers can both be used to advantage for cheek augmentation.

permanent implants are  an option.  these however can have unnatural features such as distinct edges, etc.  they can shift, and the overlying skin can thin to reveal the implant

fat frequently is the filler of choice and should be considered.  fat is natural, has no allergic reaction(it comes from the patient), and can be customized.  furthermore, other areas such as hollows under the eyes of hollows of the temples can be treated at the same time to give a more refreshed appearence

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or a cheek implant

+1

If you are willing to have surgery than a cheek implant would work great. When you go for your consultation try to be clear as to where exactly you want more projection. There are different style and sizes of implants from which to choose from. Your surgeon should be able to go over them with you. Not all surgeons are comfortable with cheek implants which is why some would just recommend fillers. Implants make a permanent correction. You don't want to go into it with the idea that you will just take them out if you don't like them. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Radiesse is ideal for cheek augmentation

+1

If properly done, adding more Radiesse is the best way to give you what you are looking for. I often tell my patients if they like the way the swelling looks immediately after their Radiesse treatments, I can add more once the swelling goes down to give them that exact look that they want. It will not make your face look wider if it is injected correctly in the appropriate places. In my opinion, longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat injections can increase volume around upper cheek

+1

If you like the volume effect that you achieved with the temporary fillers that you have had in the past and you want to consider something permanent you have a few options. You've already correctly identified that you can have cheek implants. However, you can also have what's called "Coleman Fat Transfers" to the area. This is also known as fat injections, fat grafting, structural fat grafting, etc 

We take some fat from the stomach or other area around your body and process the fat. The fat can then be injected into the cheek and under eye region to increase the fullness. Around half the fat dissolves but what is left is permanent. The fat that is going to dissolve will do so over a few months, but anything that survives will survive forever.

Taimur Shoaib, MD
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon

Implants are great for cheek augmentation

+1

Cheek implants are a great choice when patient are tired of getting cheek injections and want long-term results.  The cheek implants are placed through an intraoral approach and placed directly over the bone.  We tend to undersize the implants so that results appear natural.  Once in place, the implants will be there for many, many years without complications or any need to be adjusted.