Cheek Implants Without Buccal Fat?

So I decided to get small cheek implants but my doctor during the consultation recommended I get the buccal fat. What should I do? Is there a point in getting malar implants without the fat removal? Or will I end up with puffier cheeks? PS my face isnt ridiculously full/round

Cheek Implants Without Buccal Fat?

+1

There are many different types of implants that are available to Augment the Cheeks and several methods of performing the surgery.  I perfrom a significant amount of Cheek Implant Surgery and do not ever remove the buccal fat.  I believe that doing so creates an un-aesthetic hollow to the lower cheek as the face ages in the 40's and beyond.

Be certain that the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive face.

Cheek implants and buccal fat pad removal

+1

Cheek implants  come in a variety of sizes and shapes depending upon the anatomy of the maxilla, and patient's desires. Most patients require a small or medium-sized cheek implant to give the desired augmentation. It is rare to ever require  buccal fat pad removal. The implants are inserted through an intra-oral approach usually under brief general anesthetic as an outpatient surgical procedure.

Cheek Augmentation and Buccal Fat Removal

+1

I rarely removal buccal fat when doing cheek augmentation because the buccal area may become hallow and gaunt as we lose facial volume with aging. I need to see pictures to be helpful.

Cheek Augmentation (Implants) with or without Buccal Fat Removal

+1

Thanks for the question -- this brings up some important points about the contour of the cheeks and the shape of the face. If you have relatively flat cheekbones, cheek augmentation with implants can dramatically improve your facial shape and highlight your other features.  For patients who have very full cheeks with excess buccal fat (fat inside the cheeks, next to the mouth), the combination of cheek implant placement AND buccal fat extraction can result in a dramatic change in the overall facial shape (from round to heart-shaped).  In patients without this excess fullness, buccal fat extraction can make the face look too thin or even sickly.  Pictures would be very helpful for evaluation. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants/buccal fat removal.

+1

I need to see photos. I do not like buccal fat removal-u will need this as u age. Get a second opinion. 

Cheek implants and buccal fat

+1

Pictures and your age would be helpful to give you the best advice.  So, it sounds as if your surgeon is recommending removal of some buccal fat.  I rarely recommend buccal fat removal, as I think it can cause the face to appear older as you age.  As people age, they lose some fat and normally need volume added to their cheeks.  In most cases, just having the cheek implants would help to make the lower cheeks appear smaller in comparison.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon