Cheek Implants Instead of Lift? For Financial Reasons.

I am turning 52 this year and feel I am ready for a mini lift or something of this nature. I have aged rather gracefully and most of my problems are in the nasal folds and the corners of my mouth also, I already have high cheekbones, yet notice a slight sagging which results in the wrinkles around the corners of my mouth area. I'm wondering if *cheek implants would work instead of the lift? I only have limited funds and think it might be the best route financially, do many people do this?

Cheek implants instead of facelift

+1

Cheek augmentation is performed when people have very flat cheeks in either the malar or submalar areas.  The implants are inserted through an intraoral incision and placed directly over the bone to give a nice 3 dimensional augmentation of the cheek area. 

Jowls and facial laxity need to be addressed with a mini lift or traditional facelift depending upon the condition of the jowls and neck area.  Nasolabial folds are best treated with fillers, not surgery.

Cheek Implants no Substitute for Facelift

+1

Your problem is that your tissue has fallen off your cheeks and that is what is causing the problems you see. Implants only make this appear worse and distort the problem even more. The only answer is a lift to put the tissues back to where they came. The best way to achieve what you need is to start a fund and pay into it regularly like it were a loan for your house or car. Then you will have the money you need for what will work. The only other option is to try to disguise the resulting nasolabial and the other folds from the tissue descent. This can be done with fillers like Radiesse if the surgeon is experienced.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+1

I perform many Cheek Augmentations using Cheek Implants and the notion that Cheek Implants can or should be large enough to lift facial tissues is aesthetically incorrect.  Cheeks Implants that are large enough to lift tissues will distort the face.  

I'd have to see pictures, of your face, for more analysis but Cheek Augmentation and any sort of Face Lift are not mutually exclusive but rather aesthetically compatible.  In order to make the face more naturally attractive IMHO, both areas should be addressed.  Be sure your plastic and cosmetic surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Cheek Implants Instead of Lift

+1

From your description a mini-lift with augmentation of your nasolabial grooves will probably best meet your present needs. You do not need implants if you have high cheek bones. After an examination specific recommendations can be made.

Nasolabial folds and drooping mouth corners

+1

I would really have to see pictures or see you in person to give specific advice. If the situation is as you describe and there is little or no sagging of the lower cheeks, jawline and neck, sometimes minimal procedures such as a corner lip lift and or nasolabial fillers or excision might give improvement for a number of years. More likely a face lift would benefit someone your age and you should save up for it. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift

+1

The deep naso-labial fold and wrinkles around the mouth are better adressed by a face lift. Cheeck implant will not solve these issues.

Facelift to remove sagging skin-not implants.

+1

You need a facelift to take care of the issues you mentioned and not cheek implants. A mini lift would be better than implants for you.