Can Cheek Implants Improve Your Under Eye Situation? I Have Sort of Bulges Under my Eyes

I went to a plastic surgeon about my lower lid bulges and he said that the problem was that my eye ball is there - it's not really fat. I'm wondering if a cheek implant or an orbital rim implant would smooth out that area?

Volume enhancement is the best option

+2

It looks like you have what is called "negative vector" with significant cheek volume. Traditional lower lid surgery would pose a significant risk of developing complications. I agree volume enhancement would be your best option. I prefer autologous fat but implants would also be an excellent option.

Cheek implants to improve under eye area

+1

Flat cheeks are best treated with cheek augmentation. The material is usually made of silastic and placed through an incision inside the mouth above the upper tooth roots and the implants are placed directly over the bone. Any puffiness from the lower lids is taken care of through a transconjunctival approach whereby fat is removed from all three compartments of the lower lid. This will give a nice smooth transition to the lid/cheek junction.  

Appearance of the Lower Eyelid Related to the Fullness of the Cheek

+1

You are definitely on the right track with your question.  The photo, as others have noted is not ideal for a specific recommendation, but it does appear that you are in need of some mid-face augmentation.  While filler is certainly an option, I would suspect that you are a better candidate for a solid implant.  Your best bet is to make an appointment with a board-certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon for evaluation.  Make sure that you ask if the surgeon does a lot of malar implants as this is a procedure that is difficult and experience counts.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implants for Bulges under Eyes

+1

A frontal and 3/4 picture of your face and eyes are necessary to answer your question. However, augmentation of the orbital rim with fillers or fat would probably be helpful. When you send the other pictures we'll discuss the need for cheek implants.

Cheek Implants vs Eyelid Surgery

+1

From your picture (which can be very misleading), you appear to have a prominent eye (eyeball forward) as well as descent of the cheek. This is correctable, but is very tricky. You need to see a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in rejuvenating the eye area.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon