Cheek Implants or Fat Injections or Voluma? Which should I choose?

Im looking to fill out my cheek area because it has become hollow over the past few years, im 25 now and im hoping to restore that region to how it was when I was a teen. I had the consult today and was given a quote on three different procedures to correct this issue-Implants, Fat Injections, or Voluma Filler. Im having trouble deciding on what route to take.

Youthful Cheeks

+1
There is nothing more youthful than a full cheek! If you smile in the mirror you can see how the volume fills your cheeks, most of us look at pictures and realize we look tired. This is really frustrating to those of us that exercise and eat right to stay fit, as you age if you stay thin you will most likely need to augment your cheeks!

i like Voluma for this, implants are more permanent, but nothing about aging is permanent your face continue to change and I love the freedom of putting it exactly where it is needed.

Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma may be your best option

+1
Voluma is perfect for what you are trying to achieve; this facial filler will give volume to the areas that have lost volume throughout the years. Consult with your doctor to learn more about Voluma and find out if this is the best facial filler for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Cheek Implants or Fat Injections or Voluma? Which should I choose

+1
There are several ways to augment the cheeks.  If you have a fairly hollow, thin face, ultimately cheek implants may be the best options.  But, if you want to try a filler first, that is reasonable.  HAs or Voluma would be my choice; followed by the implants, if need be.

Fillers versus cheek implants for cheek augmentation

+1
Fillers  can be used to augment the cheek area, however they are temporary lasting from 6-18 months. The results are quite variable in patients. They must be repeated to maintain the augmentation.
Cheek implants are composed of Silastic, are inserted through an Intra-oral approach under a brief general anesthetic. They provide a permanent solution  to augmenting the cheeks.  Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation. For many examples, please see the  link below to our cheek implant photo gallery

Fillers vs Implants? Replace like with like

+1
I usually recommend facial implants to enhance a patient who has poor bony skeletal support.  That is, for someone who never has had a good well supported cheek. 

Volume loss is a natural consequence of aging and we lose volume in predictable locations.  This is primarily (although not 100%) due to  loss of soft tissue volume.  Therefore I find the most natural looking rejuvenation results when I use something soft to replace soft tissue volume lost to age.  In your case, that will be something like Voluma, Sculptra, or fat transfer.  There are pros and cons for each one of those choices which you'll need to discuss with your surgeon.

I don't have any pictures of you, but at your age you should take care to avoid over correction.  For most women, I would not recommend filling up to a volume level present as a teen.  Generally speaking, there is a sculpted look to a mature female face which is beautiful and appropriate.  Too much cheek volume (i.e. teen age volume) can give a baby-faced look and/or risk having a "done" appearance.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for cheek augmentation

+1
The choice of what to use for cheek augmentation is really up to you and what you want out of a solution.  In younger patients, I find myself using a filler (Voluma, Sculptra, etc) more often than not - it's relatively inexpensive and is a simple office procedure.  Fat grafting is my long-term solution of choice, but does require an outpatient operation (typically under IV sedation) and a longer recovery time.
Your surgeon should help walk you through these options and help you make the choice that is right for you.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS