Cheek Implants and the Aging Process?

I am 21 and am contemplating cheek implants. I dont want anything too drastic so I would be getting the small implants if I choose to get the procedure done. My question is, will they become more/ unnaturally visible as I age and the skin on my face naturally looses elasticity and fat? I wouldnt want to get them removed because I know that will cause the skin to sag and I dont want to depend on fillers too much later on.

Cheek implants and aging

+2

Full disclosure: I do not place cheek implants. I do fillers and Sculptra treatments to create cheek augmentation. These nonsurgical options can be very rewarding and can either be done instead of surgical implants, or to see if you like the results of a fuller cheek without going through a surgery, as a test-drive. 

I have seen many women in their 50's and older who had cheek implants placed when they were younger. Sometimes their implants look unnatural as the aging progresses. The rest of the face begins to shrink, but the implant doesn't. 

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek implants

+1

The proper placement of cheek implants is underneath the periosteum of the maxilla.  When placed on  the bone, they feel like part of the cheek bone.  It is also very important not to overdo them.  We have 20 year follow-ups with patients whose implants look and feel great.

The Influence of Cheek Implants on Facial Aging

+1

As long as cheek implants are not oversized, they will not become obvious as the face ages. In some cases cheek implants may actually help to support the overlying tissues from sagging with aging. The key to cheek implants is getting the proper size and style so the effect is created without looking unnatural.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The appearance of cheek implants and the aging process

+1

In my opinion, longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek Implants and the Aging Process

+1

You are correct - cheek implants will not stop the aging process. I have done cheek implants on patients many years ago who returned for treatment of facial aging when I did a cheek lift or another rejuvenation procedure which would be done whether or not implants were present. Done properly, implants will not cause problems with normal facial aging.

Cheek Implants and Aging

+1

As a Facial Plastic Surgeon, I currently use cheek implants far less than I once did.  The reason for this is that both autologous fat transfer and Sculptra (L-Poly Lactic Acid) are so effective in volumizing the face. In addition, as we age, we lose both soft tissue volume and bone volume in the face causing a relative descent of the implants.  The appearance of cheek implants changes with aging of the face, and have a tendency to age poorly.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants and aging.

+1

Good question.  As long as u get small implants and your cheeks are slightly under developed there will not be a problem with aging.