Can I Get Cheek Implants After or During a Sculptra Treatment?

Not literally DURING a treatment, but if I decided to initiate one treatment and then a month later decided to go with implants could I do that? Or how long would I have to wait?

Timing of Facial Implants VS. Fillers

+2

Except for the most extreme cases of facial skeletal deficiencies or special indications, the role of facial implants has very much been assumed by certain facial fillers which are cheaper, more customizable and associated with much less complications. The vast majority of people who 20 years ago would be treated with facial implants can be treated better with such fillers. 

As regards the sequencing of fillers and implants it is important to consider that picking and placement of implants should be based on a face which is not constantly changing. I would wait until all swelling has subsided to have a facial implant to lower the risk of putting in an implant that may be too small. Since implants are placed under the periosteum, the bone lining, they really do not come in contact with the filler. 

Cheek Implants after Sculptra

+2

It is unlikely that you will need cheek implants after Sculptra. One of the beauties of Scultpra treatment is that you can add material and "volumonize" the area until satisfied. Depending on the depth of your defect, vials can be added on a monthly basis until you and your plastic surgeon or dermatologist are content. Realize that Sculptra is a slowly evolving correction and that the appearance after one month is virtually the same as it was before you began. It is a few months after treatment that you will have the final effect. 

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Cheek implant vs. Sculptra

+1

Both of these treatments provide improved cheek fullness. I have become a fan of Sculptra to provide a natural looking result and nice improvement in cheek fullness. It's like a facelift in a bottle. Cheek implants are tricky and have more risks than Sculptra which is minimally invasive. Cheek implants are permanent and lead to more remarkable results - which is a benefit. There is a risk, however, with scarring and nerve weakness. It seems you should weigh the benefits and risks of Sculptra vs. cheek implants, and choose one. You should not need both. If you decide to do both, provide either treatment the full recovery time necessary before you decide.

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/minimally-invasive-procedures-baltimore/sculptra/

Best to wait on cheek implants to see if Sculptra fills the bill instead

+1

Certainly if you have begun Sculptra treatment, you should wait. Most Sculptra patients are treated over a period of time with multiple sessions to achieve the planned volume restoration. To jump right into having an implant would not give you a chance to see what the Sculptra is doing - or can do.

Sculptra results can be pretty dramatic, so if you've started, then continue and wait until your sessions are complete. If at that time you feel you want "more", then discuss with your treating physician when it would be advisable to undergo implant surgery.

Web reference: http://www.rebeccafitzgeraldmd.com/photo-gallery.html

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Cheek Implants After Sculptra

+1

Since Sculptra is placed in the subcutaneous tissue plane and cheek implants in the subperiosteal plane, there is no problem with doing one after the other. There are no safety issues and one doe not jeopardize the other in terms of infection or the ability to get a good placement. The real question is whether you would need cheek implants from a cosmetic standpoint after Sculptra injections. Sculptra requires a series of injections and takes months to see the results. So if you have had just one injection and it is only a month after the first one then you may be premature in regards to considering cheek implants.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/cheek.html

Cheek implants after sculptra

+1

Yes,  you can do both but you should wait for at least 3 months to get the full effect of the sculptra injections before deciding to proceed with implants.   I have done away with cheek implants in my practice because of the more natural appearance that can be achieved with sculptra and other longer lasting fillers.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.josephtogbamd.com

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

+1

IMHO, having cheek implants after sculptra was injected into the cheek tissues would be no problem however I'd wait up to 3 months after cheek augmentation to have sculptra injected.  Why the difference?   Tissues are more swollen after cheek implants than sculptra injections.  Be sure the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you choose, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Cheek implants in addition to Sculptra injections

+1

Cheek implants would not be wise until quite a few months after Sculptra. If you are waiting to assess the results of your Sculptra treatment, the increase in volume is gradual, starting 3 months after the injection and achieving a maximum at approximately 5 to 6 months post injection. However, I feel that longer lasting fillers such as Sculptra have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/sculptra/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers versus Implants

+1

I would not suggest having facial fillers and cheek implants at the same time.  In fact, many fillers have replaced the need for cheek implants.  My suggestion, if all of this is new to you, is to have a temporary filler (Juvederm, Restylane, etc) injected in your cheeks and see if you like the look.  If you do, then you can continue with fillers or go ahead and have the cheek implants.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.shaferplasticsurgery.com