Can a Cheek Implant Take Up to a Year to Heal?

I had cheek implants around the 27th of July 2010. The left implant is fine but the right has had slight pain in it up until now and it's now July 7th 2011. Is this normal? There doesnt appear to be any swelling and I am happy with the results. I have been back to the doc twice about 6 months ago due to this pain and he placed me on additional antibotics for about 3 weeks. Should I be concerned or just wait another 2 months and see if the pain will finally subside? Thank you

Pain a year after cheek implant

+1

I have performed cheek implants for over 20 years and IMHO, your right cheek implant may be impinging on the infra-orbital branch of the trigeminal nerve which exits the cheek bone just below the lower eye socket.  This would explain the localized pain without swelling or infection.  Do you have any numbness in the cheek, upper lip or gums which would be other symptoms of this nerve compression.  If the pain persists, the cheek implant should be removed or trimmed away from the nerve branch.

Pain 1 year after cheek Implants.

+1
This is probably ok and if it does swell see your surgeon before your appt. It would swell with an infection.

Pain 1 year after Cheek Implant

+1

Hi,

Its unusual to have pain at this point. Its possible that the right implant is pushing or touching the right infra-orbital nerve. If that is the case, then you may need to have the implant adjusted so its not impinging on the nerve.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS