Should I have Implants Removed from Cheek Immediately or Give it Some Time?

I had a cheek implant which proved to be extremely large and made me look much worse than before.Should i remove them right away (7 days have passed from the surgery) or should i wait some more time?Thanks in advance for your interest

Cheek Implants and facial swelling

+1

One week after surgery is too early to tell what the final result will be. If you think you are looking at the final result, you are wrong. The cheek area gets a lot of swelling after implant surgery which is more noticeable than facial swelling anywhere else on the face because it is right next to the eyes. You should wait a minimum of 6 weeks (3 months is better) after your surgery before you critique its size/result. I have seen many facial implant patients, particularly men, who want their facial implants out the very first week after surgery...only to go on and be satisfied later when the swelling has gone down. There is a reason you wanted cheek augmentation so give it time. Removing your cheek implants now is premature and capricious.  

Cheeks too big from implants

+1

Although it is "after the fact", so that others may learn this is the reason I feel that longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

This is a tough call and I think you should have a discussion with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants.  The cheeks can look swollen for about 1 month and take 3-4 mionths to be completely settled.  I place many Cheek Implants and have for over 22 years.  When augmenting the Cheeks it's imperative to understand and follow the proper aeethetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.