Shortly after, the implants were removed 3 mos. because it was not the look I wanted. Cheek Implant Removal?

I am a male, early 20s and had medium combination malar/submalar silicon implants placed. Shortly after, the implants were removed 3 mos. because it was not the look I wanted, resulting in ROUND/FULLER CHEEKS. It has now been almost 3.5 mos after removal and my cheeks still feel a bit puffy/round. 1. Will the puffy/round cheeks go away over time? 2. Will the capsule created ever shrink and disappear enabling my cheeks to reabsorb to the bone? 3. Will my cheeks sag faster as I age? Thank you

Recovery from cheek implant removal

+1

I would expect all to return pretty close to normal but it may take up to 18 months to do so. I would expect any capsule formation to obliterate. Rarely a seroma or other problem could arise but I would not expect it to do so. Just wait it out and all will be fine

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Cheek Implant Removal

+1

Thank you for this great question. When cheek augmentation is performed with cheek implant placement, the overlying soft tissues are stretched and a fibrous capsule is formed around the implant material.  After the implant is removed, you have to recover from the swelling of the surgery AND the soft tissues have to remodel (shrink back to regular size). This can take 9 to 12 months.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after cheek implant removal

+1

It can take six to twelve months to see the final result after removing cheek implants, so since yours were removed 3.5 months ago, I would say that chances are good that you will still see some improvement.  In most cases when cheek implants are removed, your appearance should return to what it was before the implants were placed, or very close to that.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implant Removal?

+1

Yes, the implant capsule should absorb and after only 3-4 months was not fully formed to begin with IMHO.  The cheek shape should return to what it was before the Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants and IMO, the reason your cheeks ar round and puffy at this time is most likely due to the swelling from the Cheek Implant removal.  These can be easilly removed through a small incision on the inside of the mouth but does take some expoerience to avoid significant post removal swelling.  Your cheeks will not age any faster after having the Cheek Implants in and out in less than 4 months.

Effects of Cheek Implant Removal

+1

It will likely take at least 6 months or more for all the effects of having had cheek implants to subside. The capules will usually go away completely and the tissues will stick back down to the bone. What effects having had these cheek implants will have on your long-term facial aging is unknown.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheek implant removal

+1

Removal of cheek implant is not as easy as placing them in . The determining factor is the type (silicone vs medpor) Also the implants tend to erode into the cheekbones and cause asymmetry. There will be sagging but some of that may contract due to your age and hopefully good skin quality.

Raj S. Ambay, MD