Cheek Implant Removal - How Long Do I Have to Wait?

Hi, i just had cheek implants Xl malar/submalar put in on Dec7th 2010, how long will i typically have to wait, before another PS will remove this from my face, im very depressed over this, and cant function, until this nightmare is over, the original PS will not remove it. i had the implants done in Fla, but i live in Honolulu, so i am trying to find someone there who is willing to help me. Ryan

Failed cheek implants

+2

You can have them removed at any time.  Your cheek fullness can be restored down the road with a midface lift or cheek lift.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implant removal

+2
If you are not happy they can be removed at any time. Your plastic surgeon may just be telling you to wait a few months to see what it will ultimately look like before you make the decision to have it removed.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implant removal.

+2

You can have the implants removed at any time. It would be extremely helpful if the surgeon who removes them has the operative report from the surgeon who inserted them so they know how they were fixed into place. The removal should be a relatively simple procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Unless Obvious Signs of Infection, Wait At least 4 - 6 mos, Ask Your Doctor

+1

I would advise you to wait 4-6 months unless there are obvious signs of infection, the implant has clearly shifted (I have taken some out that were placed elsewhere because the implants rotated to vertical from horizontal position).  If you don't meet that crtierea, I would not remove them until 4 or 6 months post op.  You should have the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did the cheek implants, remove them for you if that is your desire.

Cheek Implant Removal

+1

Dear patient,

I am sorry the results were not what you were expecting. 

Cheek Implant removal can technically performed at any time.  However, there are two reasons to wait at least 1 month and prefereably 6 weeks. 

The first reason is that there is some post operative swelling in the early healing period which can affect the look and prevent patients from seeing the true or ultimate results. 

The second reason is one of safety.  While removal at any time has low risk, the earlier it is attempted, inflammation is likely to obscure the anatomy, and there is slightly higher risk to surrounding structures, such as the nerve that provides sensation to the cheek and upper lip.  This is especially true if a different surgeon is removing them.  A complete operative report would be helpful. 

I hope this is helpful,

Ali Sepehr, MD Facial Plastic Surgeon Irvine, Orange County, California

Ali Sepehr, MD
Irvine Facial Plastic Surgeon

REMOVAL OF CHEEK IMPLANT

+1

You could have this removed any time. But I would be a little patient and wait until all the swelling subsides which may take up to 10-12 weeks. You could be surprised and actually like the result. Any qualified facial plastic or plastic surgeon could do a good job of removal. Good luck.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can really remove the cheek implants anytime

+1

There is really no period when you should wait or that is generally recommended or considered standard.  What your surgeon is likely wanting you to do is to reassess your results.  The swelling should go down and you may like the results later.  That is probably the intent of your surgeons. So most doctors are going to want you to really make sure you want them out with the ultimate results that are going to become manifest for you. I think patience is important.  But you do have options.  There is no reason you can't remove them asap.  I think the other doctors just want you to wait to really assess your results. You are always welcome to reach out to me for more advice or more questions.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with cheek implants what to do?

+1

Dear Cheek Implant Patient from Honolulu,
Since you just had cheek implants, I would recommend you to wait for at least another month. I believe that your surgeon also thinks the same way. There are some degrees of swelling and also you need to get used to your new look. In one month, if you feel that those implants are not for you, then go ahead and have them removed. There is no time line when an implant can be removed, they can come out at any time. Good luck and good healing

Kevin Sadati, DO

Cheek implants removed right away.

+1

I am thinking your Dr. is confident you will like your results if you wait for the implants to settle and for all of the swellling to subside.  The ultimate decision is up to you, you can have them removed at any time.  I am imagining you still have some swelling.  Possibly if you wait, you may be pleased with the results.