Cheek Implant Rejection Concerns?

Hi. I live in Australia and am considering cheek implants. I want this to replace fat lost in the mid face area (I am 61 and have good skin tone and minimal sagging). I want small implants - nothing extreme. However all the doctors I have approached have said they don't do it due to high rejection rate of the implants and the risk of them moving around. There are doctors interstate who do it but none locally. Should I be concerned about implant rejection?

Cheek Implant Rejection

+2

After using silicone cheek implants over 35 years I've never one rejected. Anything is possible, but rejection is very unlikely. Movement is unlikely if the operation is done by a surgeon experienced with this technique.  

Cheek augmentation with Silastic implants

+2

Cheek implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic and are well-tolerated and in the body. They are placed through an intraoral  incision, under a brief general anesthetic as an outpatient surgical procedure. Only rarely do they get infected or migrate within the first 2 weeks after the procedure.   It is important to seek out  a surgeon with experience  in cheek augmentation for best results 

Web reference: http://chincheekimplantsseattle.com

Cheek Implants and rejection

+2

When you have lost fat in the face, the best option is to replace it with your own fat that is skillfully grafted into the cheek areas.  However, the use of cheek implants is a perfectly good option.  Cheek silicone implants are safe and effective. Infection is very rare and true "rejection" is almost unheard of.  If you are being told that these implants are unsafe, it is probably because the surgeon does not have experience with them and doesn't feel comfortable doing them.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants are well tolerated, safe

+2

Cheek implants are not rejected. If they become infected, they can occasionally require removal. However, this is very uncommon. Further, the phenomenon of cheek implants "moving around" is not common. They are typically placed into a precise pocket and can be temporarily secured with a suture to further reduce the risk. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-implants/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants are safe and reliable.

+2

I use silicone cheek implants of appropriate size for 35 years and the infection rate is less than 1%. Anytime you put an implant in there's a possibility of infection and removal of the implant. We wait a few months and replace the implant. It still gives the best and most predictable result and is my favorite choice for atrophy of the cheek area.

Cheek Implants

+2

Hi,

Cheek implants or any other kind of implants dont get rejected. The materials typically used do not get rejected by the body.

The problem is if implants are not placed in the right pocket and secured to the bone or tissue, then they can migrate, move, extrude or become infected.

It has nothing to do with implant itself, it has to do with the surgeon putting them in.

That said even under the most ideal and sterile circumstances, implants can get infected within the 1st 2 weeks by acts of God, the chances are very small...

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.facechange.org

Cheek implant reliability

+1

Typically, the rejection rate of solid cheek implants is very low especially for small ones. Larger ones run the risk of possible extrusion since they may be too big for the pocket and can put pressure on the underlying tissue. I recommend the solid silastic, medical grade silicone implants. They are easy to place and easy to remove if something happens. Good luck.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.