Can a Cheek Implant Infection Affect my Chin Implant?

Dear doctors, Unfortunately my cheek implant infection could'nt be treated by antibiotics. On tuesday they will be removed. 2 Years ago I got a silicon chin implant and I am now afraid that this infection may effect my chin implant. Is that possible? My cheek implants are porex and have a porous surface. What do I have to expect post op? The initial surgery was Six werks ago. Thank you so much

Infections after facial implants

+2

Generally infections will not spread from one area to another in a normal healthy person, so the infection is usually localized to only one implant.  Infections around facial implants can be serious problems, so early and aggressive treatment is important.

Signs of infection include:

• Redness, swelling, and/or pain around the incision or implant area
  • Fevers >101 F
  • Drainage from incisions, which can be clear or purulent

I would recommend you finish up the antibiotics as prescribed and make sure keep all your scheduled follow up appointments.  However, the risk to your chin implant is quite small.

Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

No. The cheek implant infection is self limitimg and will resolve after removal. Of course, any facial infection can affect other parts of the face but if you leave it untreated for some time.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected Porex Cheek Implants may effect your Chin Implant.

+1

The infected Porex Cheek Implants will increase the bacterial load in your bloodstream that also supplies your Chin and in that adverse way, it could result in an infected Chin Implant.  You could request that you are kept on the antibiotics to help revent that from happening which seems a reasonable request IMHO.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Cheek implant

+1

generally speaking-it should be contained after removal, however, stay on the antibiotic regimen your PS has precribed for you and monitor from then on

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon