Worried I Have a Cheek Implant Infection 25 Years Later.

I had malar cheek implants over 25 years ago and am now worried one may be infected. It is not red and I do not have a fever but it periodically swells up and gets tender. This did not happen until a few years ago when I began having a series of various fillers injected in the same area to further augment my cheeks due to aging. The worst was evolence which resulted in hard lumps that finally went away. What are the signs of infection? Soap/ water also can make it swell or too much touching.

Cheek Swelling following Implant - see a surgeon !

+1

Although all implants are foreign bodies and subjected to infection, it would be very unusual to occur after the first year. Fat injection would avoid the above risk in almost all cases..In general, the longer out from surgery the less likely there will be an infection. However, as all implants are foreign bodies they are always at risk albeit a small one.

Your swelling may be from your injections, the implant itself or other causes. It is important to see a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oral surgeon for evaluation and treatment if needed

Problems with cheek implant and fillers

+1

Signs of infection include fever, redness, swelling, and sometimes discharge. Any implanted or injected material may be associated with infection, tissue reaction or even rejection, at any time. Without a detailed examination, it is not possible to diagnose exactly what is occuring, but it sounds like you are having some inflammation related to the implant, the fillers, or both. If conservative treatments (like hot or cold compresses) don't help, you should be evaluated. 

Jeremiah P. Tao, MD
Irvine Oculoplastic Surgeon

Worried I Have a Cheek Implant Infection 25 Years Later

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you may have a slowly brewing infection. It may be from the previous injections spreading skin bacteria into the implant area. You can try to treat this with oral antibiotics but the implants will probably have to come out.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS