Cheek Implant - is a Compression Garment Recommended?

I recently asked about implant rejection and wish to thank all those doctors who responded. I have decided to proceed with this surgery and am in the process of locating a surgeon. I wondered if purchasing a full facial compression garment like this is recommended to minimise swelling? If so, will this significantly control swelling and promote faster recovery? Thank you to all who contribute here. It is a wonderful resource.

After Surgery Compression Garment Not Needed For Cheek Implants

+2

Compression for the cheeks is not an effective strategy for minimizing swelling after implant augmentation surgery. There will be some appreciable swelling that can not be avoided and time is the only cure for it.

+2

Compression garments for cheek implants have proponents and detractors. I do not recommend them to my patients. Compression is obviously a good thing to minimize swelling but I just don't think these garments work in the case of cheek implants. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after cheek augmentation

+2

Personally, I do not have my patients wear a compression garment after a cheek augmentation with implants because I do not find that it's really necessary.  I typically use a bolster for the first three days to stabilize the implants.  Using a compression garment while the bolsters are in place could actually put too much pressure on the area.  If a patient wanted to use a compression garment after the bolsters were removed, I don't think that would be harmful, but I also don't feel that it's needed.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments for cheek implants

+1

Compression garments for cheek implants are totally unnecessary. We did not use any compression garments or bolsters after the surgery.

Compression Dressing for Cheek Implants

+1

Thank you for the great question! In my practice, I don't use a full face compression garment after cheek implant placement. Rather, I use a local bolster (a soft dressing) which compresses the area immediately on top of the implants. The compression dressing won't hurt, but most people find them to be uncomfortable or claustrophobic. I remove the bolster dressing 5 to 7 days after the surgery.  Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon