Cheek Augmentation: How Long Before I Can Have Revision Surgery?

I had bilateral malar cheek implants done on 2/15/11. Unfortunately the right side implant shifted the day of the surgery and is not where it should be. The left side looks good- but there is no improvement on the right side. How long should I wait before undergoing the revision surgery? Also, will there be the same amount of swelling involved as with the original surgery?

Cheek Implant RevisionCan Be Done After Three Months

+1

Revisional cheek implant surgery can be done as soon as one is sure that it is truly asymmetric or malpositioned. After three months you can be fairly confident that what are seeing is implant position and not just swelling. Such secondary surgery is not associated with as much swelling or discomfort as the first surgery because the implant pocket has already been developed. The key to successful revisional surgery is appreciating what has made its current position asymmetric and to enure that it is stabilized into its new position. This is best done with a very small screw, securing the implant to the underlying bone to prevent a recurring problem.

Revision Cheek Implant surgery

+1

If you can wait 3-4 months, the cheek tissue will be healed more and this will make the removal and replacement...if you want that done, easier. Because the surgical pocket, for the Cheek Implants, was already created, you should have much less swelling after this procedure.

Revision cheek implants after 6 months.

+1
This can be done 6 months after your surgery . It depends exactly how and why the implant is different as what to do. I would need to feel them to tell you what needs to be done.

+1

6-9 months. This is how long it takes for healing process to complete and majority of swelling to resolve. All faces are asymmetric and this includes the cheeks. Since, cheek implants are the same size and shape, the asymmetry will persists or may be exaggerated post op.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to Manage Malposition Cheek Implant

+1

Sorry to hear you have an issue with your cheek implant.  The most common problem with cheek implants is getting them symmetric and you are no exception.

First, you need to be 100% sure that the implant is actually asymmetric and that it is not asymmetric swelling.  Assuming your are sure the implant is in the wrong place then you should proceed with a plan to fix that.

I think the highest success is to remove the implant, allow it to heal, then replace the implant a few months later.  Trying to move an implant in one surgery once it has healed in the wrong place is challenging.  The implant tends to slide back into the wrong spot.  If you are certain the implant is in the wrong position, there is no reason to wait at all if this approach is used.

If you prefer to try to reposition in the implant in a single surgery, you should wait about 6 months from the original surgery.  You certainly can have success doing it this way, but I believe your highest success is to remove, allow to heal, and replace.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon