Cheek Augmentation Recommendation? (photo)

I have seen 2 surgeons regarding my double jaw surgery and one recommended that I consider getting cheek implants, while the other one felt it wasn't necessary. If I'm going to get implants, I might as well get it done during my jaw surgery, so I'll need to make a decision soon. However, I'm afraid of having something artificial in my face and the possibility that it may move in the future causing me to go under the knife again, but I'd want something permanent. Suggestions? Thank you!

Cheek implants and jaw surgery

+1

Cheek augmentation is an excellent alternative to augment the maxilla, however the implants are not inserted at the time of the double jaw surgery.  It is important to have jaw surgery performed first to determine if cheek implants are even necessary.  The double jaw surgery is an extensive procedure usually done in the hospital with a 1 to 2 day stay.  Cheek implants are performed as a brief outpatient procedure under general anesthesia and patient’s go home the same day.  It is best to wait at least 6 months after jaw surgery to decide whether cheek implants are needed.

Jaw surgery and cheek implants

+1

Jaw surgery (orthognatic surgery) is quite invasive. I would recommend doing that first and then reevaluate your looks. Most likely cheek implants (silastic implant has stood the test of time and easily reversible) will still be a good idea. Women, in general do benefit from high cheek bones.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Augmentation Recommendation?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, there's no question that the mid face is very flat while the jaw protrudes significantly.  Having the jaw set back will not make the cheeks any more round and full.  This will require Cheek Augmentation with Cheek Implants.  I have used Silastic Implants for 25 years and believe them to give superior as well as permanent results.

Not sure about having the Cheek Implants at the same time as the jaw surgery (which is quite invasive).  Cheek Augmentation can be performed throuh a small incision on the inside of the mouth in about 30 minutes and I have not found it necessary to screw or suture the implants in place as long as the tissues are closed in multiple layers and our post op instructions are followed.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

+1

I also believe the better time is in your first operation to use enriched fat grafting by the micro droplet technique of Coleman. 

Cheek implants correct flat cheeks.

+1

Cheek implants correct flat cheeks and if you do not have flat cheeks wait until the jaw surgery is done and then decide once you can see the final result.

Cheek Implants with Orthognathic Surgery

+1

There is no better time to get cheek implants than during an upper jaw osteotomy. The cheeks are exposed and it takes little effort to place implants then. Whether they would be beneficial to our facial aesthetics is a question to ask your surgeon which could be answered by computer imaging of your orthognathic surgery result, with and without cheek implants.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/cheek.html

Cheek Augmentation Recommendation?

+1

Hello, I have reviewed your posted photos and I do recommend cheek augmentation. I would advise you to use fat as a more natural and permanent solution. It will also be easier on you as an add on to you jaw surgery. Good luck to you.

Cheek augmentation with jaw surgery.

+1

The jaw surgery looks to be significant and should merit all of your surgeon's time and concentration. The improvement should be significant.

Yes, your cheeks might look better with augmentation. Implants are reversible, certain fillers will go away with time and fat might stay for many years. Those seem to be the choices. If you, yourself, do not see any deiciency of your cheeks, reevaluate after the jaw work has healed.   

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bigger cheeks, cheek augmentation

+1

Dear JnaCA,

-Permanent cheek augmentation usually includes 2 options: fat transfer and implants

-Each surgeon is different in what they prefer, but I prefer fat transfer for several reasons

-it is natural, meaning it looks and feels natural

-There is no foreign material implanted in your body

-You look on the younger side and the concern with implants is that as you get older, you may start to see the edges of the implant.

-In the end, both techniques can give nice results, it just depends on what works better in each surgeon's hands and what you are comfortable with.

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani