Can Cheek Augmentation with Fillers Be Used for Nasolabial Folds?

I underwent an upper jaw advancement surgery to correct and underbite issue and I was left with some edema around the sides of my nose that has created the appearance of nasolabial folds. I would like to know if cheek augmentation with fillers is an appropriate solution for this issue?

Fillers in the Nasolabial Foldsl

+2

Fillers are an effective treatment to improve unfavorable facial grooves and contours. You use the word "edema" , which implies temporary  swelling, to describe your problem. Normal swelling after your type of maxillofacial surgery can be prolonged. I would not recommend fillers if your problem is transient. Discuss this with your surgeon - if this is secondary to your surgery, I'm sure he/she has seen this before and will have recommendations for treatment. 

Cheek augmenttion after upper jaw surgery

+1

Temporary fillers can of course reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds. 

You may want to consider a more permanent solution if you find a good temporary solution as well, so you don't have to continue to get fillers in perpetuity.

I personally dislike ArteFill and semipermanent fillers because of the risk of silicone-like reactions in some patients that can be disfiguring and incurable.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Cheek Augmentation with Filler for Nasolabial Folds

+1

Cheek enhancement may be performed with facial fillers such as hyaluronic acid, Sculptra, Radiesse, or fat injections. Silicone cheek implants are another cosmetic surgery option, but primarily for the mid face area. Nasolabial fold treatment is generally with fillers. Speak with a plastic surgeon specializing in facial surgery to help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

cheek augmentation with fillers be used for nasolabial folds

+1

It might. Use a short lasting filler like Restylane 2 to 4 cc's to see. Injected by a injecting expert doctor. Be careful who injects you, especially after jaw surgery.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Cheek augmentation following jaw surgery.

+1

Your maxillary advancement (upper jaw surgery) is likely an indication of significant maxillary hypoplasia. Although fillers could be used, they will provide temporary improvement and you may want to consider long term options. However, the fillers may be useful in determining if this is a desireable appearance.

Cheek augmentation for nasolabial folds

+1

There are three ways to eliminate nasolabial folds. First, one can simply fill the fold with a filler such as a hyaluronic acid (Restylane or Juvéderm) or a more permanent one like Radiesse or fat. Secondly, one can fill the malar area (the cheek just below the eye) with the same type filler. This elevates the cheek and reduces the fold. Thirdly, one can elevate the cheek with an extended blepharoplasty (or mid-face lift) or facelift (or, perhaps a cheek implant).

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Artefil is a good filler to erase the deep nasolabial fold.

+1

Artefil is a combination of little microscopic spheres and collagen. It is extremely long lasting, years. It requires a test dose 30 days before putting it in your face. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Fillers are a great option for non surgical correction of nasolabial folds.

+1

The fillers can be injected directly into the folds as well as along the cheek bone area. Re-filling the volume loss of the cheek bone area helps to fill and redistribute upwards some of the loose, drooping skin which is causing the skin to overhang at the nasolabialfold. When a person has deep folds, trying to fill them totally can lead to a very unnatural look. I would rather place a moderate amount of filler in the folds and some in the cheek bone area as well, to provide a little lift as well as to provide nice high and full cheek bones.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Smoothing DEEP Nose to Mouth (Nasolabial) Folds

+1

The Nose to Mouth (Nasolabial) Folds are a reflection of cheek prominence and age related gravitational descent.

In most people with superficial to middle depth folds, a nice correction can be obtained with a variety of fillers (such as Restylane, Perlane etc). But in people with very deep folds, the sheer depth and excess skin makes complete smoothing a challenge. The options are then a modified cheek lift procedure which will largely smooth the folds or, a much less attractive option, surgical removal of the folds which will smooth them but leave permanent scars where the folds were located. The latter procedure is not done commonly any more.