Cheek Augmentation for Male

will getting cheek implants at a younger age in my 20's mean that ill have to get them again in my 50's or 60's. or is getting them done a permanent thing. is it true that cheek augmentation is an anti ageing procedure aswell?. im wanting this done but not to make my face look "fatter" but more chiselled. do both types of cheek implants offer benefits ? male and female?. also. how do i decide what size and shape my plants should be and where they should be placed. id hate to have a revision. !

Male cheek augmentation

+2

Male cheek augmentation by surgical implanation of a synthetic alloplast is permanent.  Aging is the process of soft tissue descent over the bony skeleton and does not change with cheek augmentation. Choosing the size and shape to achieve your sculpted desired outcome is based on your soft tissues and native anatomy. This would require a physical examination.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implants are a one time permanent thing

+2

I perform many facial implants, on both men and women and Cheek Implants are a permanent augmentation that will last a life time.  There's no reason they would need to be redone when you're 50 or 60 years old.   Yes, you are correct that cheeks, as any procedure on men, should make them appear more chieseld and angular which is seen as ruggedly handsome.  This is the main concept that was missed by surgeon and patient alike when I'm asked to remove and replace cheek implants that were placed elsewhere.

Cheek implants for male in his 20's

+1

If it is was me, I would vote for fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra as others have advocated.  Cheek implants are permanent but I think you would be happy with the use of these long acting fillers, the use of which would be an less invasive and more conservative approach.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation in men

+1

There are several types of cheek augmentation available. The implants that are used can be placed over the zygoma or cheek bone to create a more angular face or in the midface to help with hollowness. They do not prevent aging but the implants themselves are permanent. You might also want to consider fullers like Radiesse or Sculptra which offer short term and long term results with injectables. The advantage of those is that you can gradually build up the areas you want and since it is not permanent you can repeat the procedure if you do not like the initial results and inject elsewhere.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation

+1

Cheek implants are permanent implants that -- if properly sized and placed -- offer long-term benefit.  Over time, we all lose volume in our faces and in some cases, the previously placed implants can begin to appear unnatural.  There are different sizes and shapes of implants that are best discussed and measured to best fit your anatomy during an in-person consultation.  In general and in recent years, I believe that more patients are pursuing less permanent but extremely safe, predictable options in volumizing fillers and fat grafting.  Fillers such as Perlane, Radiesse, Juvederm Ultra Plus can all provide excellent volumization of the cheeks without the need for surgery.  If one is amenable to the possibility of undergoing repeat fat injection sessions, fat grafting is also an excellent option that can yield very long term benefits. 

Vish Banthia, MD

Cheek Implants for Young Man

+1

We like cheek implants for their predictability and longevity. You raise many important questions which are all discussed before surgery but really depend on your anatomy, aesthetics and goals.

Once implants are in place they will give you benefit for years to come. We all age and if an implant is chosen wisely they will give you lasting benefits.

A few words of caution: In some patients, malar implants (chiseled high cheek bone look) can look too chiseled (or even boney) a few decades later or if a patient loses significant weight. This reasoning lies behind my hesitation with buccal fat extractions: it may look good for a few years but then patients want that fat back... 

Therefore, my preferred implant for most cheeks is the combined malar/submalar implant which provides a softer lower cheek transition. For patients who suffer from hollowness of the lower cheeks, a submalar implant is an alternative and will not augment the cheek bone.

Alternatives to cheek implants include facial fat grafting and injectable fillers such as Radiesse, Sculptra or Perlane. We like all of these options and tailor it to the specific goals and philosophy of our patients for the most appropriate procedure.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants vs. fillers for small cheeks.

+1

I passed a patient of mine on the street that I had placed cheek implants in 25 years ago. They still looked great and the patient was very happy. However, if someone wants just a little more, then Radiesse is a good choice. It lasts 2-3 years.

Best Methods for Cheek Augmentation

+1

All of your questions and concerns underscore why I think Radiesse is a much better choice these days than a cheek implant for cheek augmentation. Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over implants by revolumizing the face through a minimally invasive approach. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years, touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon