Injectable or Implant for Sub-malar Hollowness?

I have high cheekbones, but also hollowness in the sub malar region. I am considering an injectable or a sub-malar implant. Your thoughts? Thank you!

Many options for injectable fillers for cheek hollowness

+1

Patients today have multiple options for the correction of cheek hollowness with fillers. In our practice, the two most successful fillers are Radiesse and Sculptra for this problem. Patients must consider that Sculptra must be injected in several sessions for a complete correction of this deformity.

Submalar implant is a better alternative

+1

A submalar implant is a better alternative and more permanent lasting than injectables for the submalar area. Injectables will have to be redone every three to five months, and an implant would be permanent.

Submalar Enhancement

+1

For submalar hollowness, there are 3 good options available which I usually present to my patients. Below, I include also some pros and cons of each approach:

1. Implants: permanent, surgery, 10 days recovery

2. Fat Transfer: long lasting (? permanent), minimal invasive surgery, 10 days recovery, may need second session

3. Injectable Fillers (Radiesse, Sculptra, Hyaluronic Acid fillers): decent longevity (8 months to 2 years), short recovery (or none)

At the end, we like all of these approaches. At the end, our patients usually know what is right for them at this specific time in their lives.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon