Cheek Augmentation with Bio Alcamid

Dear doctors, What do you think about bio alcamid regarding cheek augmentation. My surgeon is offering me that procedure after removing my infected cheek implants provided that I dont want to go for surgery with implants again. Do you have any long term experiences with bio alcamid? It seems this procedure is considered as very critical in cosmetic surgery. I appreciate your help as I have to decide soon the way I will go further after removal of my implants. Thank you very much

The Advantages of Radiesse Over Cheek Implants

+2

I would recommend considering Radiesse injections instead of implants again, especially in view of your problem with infection. Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years, touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation, Bio Alcamid, Cheek implants

+1

Several articles have been written about extrusion of Bio-Alcamid after insertion into the face.

This synthetic injectable does not become assimilated by your own tissue.  If there is any contamination it can begin to leak out years later or cause hard lumps

Fat injections may be your best option once enough time has lapsed to allow your tissues to settle down after the infection.

If you are looking for a safe permanent synethtic cheek filler, Artefil is F.D.A. approved and has been used without major complications for many years both in Europe, Canada and the U.S.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making any treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Bio-Alcamid is not a good option

+1
This is not a product that is FDA approved in the United States. I would definitely suggest staying away from this option it is not a product I use or would advise my patients to be treated with even outside of the U.S. You need to make sure that any signs of infection are gone and you have a period of healing post removal of your malar implants. I would then suggest either fat transfer to augment your cheek area or one of the other highly effective fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane. Upon consultation a skilled surgeon will be able to best advise you of the proper choice for your needs and desired results.

Michael Elam, MD

Bio-Alcamid For Cheeks

+1

Bio-alcamid is not available in the United States.  I have spoken to physicians in Canada who have used it.  From my readings I don't think you would get a very good cheek implant affect with this product and it would be much messier if you had any issue with infection or if you developed a reaction to the product.

I would say that you should either leave things alone or try cheek implants again.  You might consider using platelet rich plasma to help with healing.  I had a patient who was not willing to give up on his cheek implants despite 2 years of the left side implant not healing, even after three attempts at removing, allowing for healing, and replacing.  Finally we used platelet rich plasma and the implant promptly healed and has not had any issues in a year now.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bio-Alcamid can cause very serious inflammatory reactions

+1

Bio-Alcamid can cause very serious inflammatory reactions, so I would not be treated with this product or administer it under any circumstances.

You are much better off being treated with a hyaluronic acid [HA] based filler [for example Juvéderm®, Voluma® or Perlane®], which can be easily and quickly reversed by injection of the enzyme hyaluronidase if there is a problem.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon