Cheek Assymetry Due To Face Scoliosis. What Are My Best Options?

Dear experts My thought is that i have a severe face scolliosis. In opinion of maxillo facial surgeons i have very flat cheeks paranasal and on the cheek prominences. my left side of the face is flatter in confront of the right and this will simulate a exopthalmus on the left eye. They will cut the bones of my cheeks and replace it more forward. Submalar implants are the idea of another plastic surgeon. I'm indecisive which procedure? and if the movement of bones is not too invasive?Thanks

Cheeks are flat and asymmetric, what can I do?

+2

I have performed many Cheek Augmentations with Cheek Implants over the past 20 years and IMHO, the one side of your face is longer with flatter cheeks but the degree of asymmetry is well within the range of correction attained with Cheek Implants.  I prefer to use malar/submalar combo implants.  Think of these as taking over and creating the desired cheek shape no matter what's underneath...ie. how flat, small or asymmetric you may be.

I personally think the bone cuts are way to risky and problematic for this degree of asymmetry and would recommend patients try implants as their first option.  I only use silastic implants that are placed through incisions up inside the cheek sulcus.  The surgery takes about 30 minutes and I have not found it necessary to use screws or sutures to hold the Cheek Implants in place.  However, I do require all cheek and or chin implant patients sleep on a U-shaped airline pillow for 1 months following the surgery.  Hope this helps.

Cheek assymetry

+1

Posting your phtographs would be a great help to come up with more specific recommendation. If you do not have a cross bite or cocked dental arch of the upper jaw, you may not need osteotomies to reset your "cheek bones". Putting cheek implants "malar implants" which could become customized to address your assymetry is the next best options. Fillers are other options, best one for you would be SCULPTRA or deep injection of RADIESSE. DERMOFAT GRAFTING or serial fat graftings are les invasive procedures. I have been pleased with all of the above options. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

+1

Dear Rivera,

it is difficult to say without pictures and examining you, but it sounds like you have a form of a hemifacial microsomia. It is actually fairly common in its mild form, and most people have some facial asymmetry. Sounds like, perhaps, yours is more severe. 

If you consider surgical correction, please, discuss with the surgeons their prior experience and success rate in cases similar to yours. They should be able to show you similar cases before and after photos. Either approach could be successful depending on the surgeon and your particular situation, just make sure you like the results your surgeon has achieved in similar cases.

Alternatively, you can try temporary filler injections, like Restylane or Radiesse to simulate the implant results, or even to avoid the surgery altogether.

Dr. Stella

Stella Desyatnikova, MD